TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright ya'll. The other day I got bored and decided to put my civic tube together. I remembered reading the step by step instructions that everyone else had written up, all of which being quite complicated, as far as using a GT tube or a 96-97 tube to adapt the Breather Hose. I heard horror stories about eliminating the breather hose and slapping on a rice filter on the valvecover. So i devised a plan....I went to the local pep boys and spent about an hour in the pcv section, and then of course, in the rice section. Heres what I came Up with......

A you can see, There was no need for a stock tube from another Vehicle, and I didnt eliminate the tube....

This is what I found in the PCV section.

:D

For those of you that can't see the part number on the package (I know its kinda blurry) its HELP! part # 47035, PCV system Elbow for GM applications 1968-1984...go figure.

The elbow has a built in grommet on the tube side that fits perfectly into the tube (once you drill a huge hole) and it locks itself into place.....The other end doesnt fit perfect but I've been running it for 2 weeks now and it hasnt loosened up once, and its sealed tight, no leaks.

Now for the Throttle body side!

The Black Coupler is made by Spectre....and it can be found in the rice section of pepboys....I wouldve saved the packaging, but i had to mutilate it to get it outta there. I beleive if you buy the flex tubing made by spectre, 2 of these come with it.
Anyway, you can probably see that i also utilized the ugly blue coupler/reducer that came with the civic tube, but tryed to cover it up as best as i could. So heres how it goes.

1. Slide the black coupler and 2 clamps down over the civic tube far enough so you can see tube on either side of it.

2. Slide the small end of the blue reducer INTO the tube, this will leave the 3" side (the big side) sticking out the end.

3. Place another clamp on the rubber end that wraps around the inlet of the throttle body.

4. Insert the large end of the blue reducer into the rubber throttle body end (not too far!) and tighten the clamp down.

5. Now, slide the black coupler over the blue reducer so that the rear edge of the black one is overlapping the blue one, and so the front edge is still overlapping the civic tube, this way the civic tube has a small rubber coupler on the inside and outside.

6. Take the 2 clamps you slid on in step one and slide them to either end of the black thing as shown in the picture and tighten them down. Make sure everything is back where it should be, tighten things up.

7. Start car, check for air leaks, if all is well, go for a ride.

Heres my finished product, complete with my 9" K&N and my pee on honda decal :D

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
how much did you pay for this setup and what year civic did the tube come from?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the civic tube is i beleive 93 to 2001, and it cost roughly 40 bucks, the pcv elbow was 4 or 5 bucks, the coupler was 10 bucks, the extra hose clamps were 3 bucks....the 9" filter was 45 bucks through summitracin.com, but thats optional.....happy motoring, check out porkchops instructions for some more in depth descriptions of how to modify the tube to work on our cars....its pretty simple, u need a hacksaw, a file, and a hammer, and some of that aluminum body repair tape, heres his post.... http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=407045&postcount=1

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
nice setup. i was gonna put the pcv elbow in and mod it the same way but i got lazy and decided to put a ricer filter on it instead. ran like **** for 20 minutes but ran perfectly fine afterwards. didnt loose mpg or throw any cel's but i still would advise not to do it that way.

looks great and keep up the good work! oohhhh time for an heatshield by the way ;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man, yea im going to try to figure out a heatsheild on sunday if i have time. I'll Be intalling my audio/video stuff on sunday! :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea no kidding, thats next years project.....right now my money is going into getting my plow truck ready for winter....the cat is done for now.

·
Administrator
14,211 Posts
Did you clamp rubber to rubber with no metal behind it? I did that and the tube blew off up in the mountains. :leftright

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you read the directions closely you will see that I have it set up so there is rubber on either side of the metal tube, so it makes kind of a metal sandwich with rubber for the bread....theres a reducer in the middle, then the tube goes over the reducer, then the coupler goes over the tube, and its all clamped together with 4 hose clamps at that one junction.....its not going anywhere! :cool:

·
Administrator
14,211 Posts
Sorry, the instructions are a bit confusing at this point.

Audiobahnbird said:
2. this will leave the 3" side (the big side) sticking out the end.

4. Insert the large end of the blue reducer into the rubber throttle body end (not too far!) and tighten the clamp down.
What is inside the reducer that the TB connection clamps to?

Audiobahnbird said:
5. Now, slide the black coupler over the blue reducer so that the rear edge of the black one is overlapping the blue one, and so the front edge is still overlapping the civic tube, this way the civic tube has a small rubber coupler on the inside and outside.

6. Take the 2 clamps you slid on in step one and slide them to either end of the black thing as shown in the picture and tighten them down. Make sure everything is back where it should be, tighten things up.
And this sounds like you slide the black thing back off of the tube partially and clamp down onto the reducer itself then on the tube further back.

What is this reducer made out of? Everything I got in my civic tube back in the day was just rubber.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the throttle body connection does clamp directly to the reducer, however the reducer that i got with my kit is about 1/2" thick, and it press fit into the throtle body connection very firm without the clamp, ofcourse i added a clamp anyway to be on the safe side. THe reducer is pushed into the throttle body connection about an inch so theres plenty of area to clamp there. And yes the "black thing" does slide partially off of the tube and back onto the reducer, but the small side of the reducer slides into the tube, so that is where the "tube sandwich" takes place. The reducer is inside the tube, the black coupler is outside. This area was the area I was having problems with before I came up with this idea, the connection to the throttle body is fine, i can yank on it pretty hard and it doesnt budge. Sorry if i wasnt clear....I might have to take it all apart and take some new pictures sometime when i have some free time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
where do u get the civic intake tube??? at the rice section at my pep boys, the only sell the whole damn kit for like over 100 dollars. but i just want the damn pipe!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ebay is a good place, jegs and summit are also great. Some napas have the tubes as well.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
autozone has the spectre brand which is 39.99 thats what i used. I put mine on this afternoon and i love it! :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
glad to hear it, thanks for the info. Did you do it using the PCV fitting i suggested or another way?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I like how it's a tube from a honda, but you have Calvin peeing on 'Honda'. It's hilariously ironic.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha yea, I just didn't want the car to think i was trying to turn it into a honda. I think im gonna have to take off that hood insulation though, calvin is starting to wear off

·
Administrator
14,211 Posts
Thomas said:
I like how it's a tube for a honda from an aftermarket company.
Fixed it for you. ;)

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Audiobahnbird said:
Did you do it using the PCV fitting i suggested or another way?
I used a little breather valve, the setup works great. :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Why don't you sell these pre-made?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts