TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are these needed only when drilling a set of non-mn12 bolt pattern wheels to the mn12 pattern?

a hub swap would negate the use of these rings, correct?

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Not necessarily. If the center bore of your wheel is larger than the diameter of your hub (large enough to creat a small gap) you should use hubcentric rings.

The gold in the pic below is my hubcentric ring. It fills the gap between the hub and inner bore of the rim to keep everything true.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
understood. at first glance, i thought the rings were the black part encircling the hub, with holes for the lugs. now, it looks like just paint.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Depends on if the wheels are hubcentric or not. Most aftermarket wheels that will fit an MN12 are not. If you're using OEM Mustang wheels after a hub swap, you probably won't need them, but with aftermarket wheels you likely still need to run them ... have to measure the bore of the wheels, or ask the salesperson when you're ordering them.

cheers
Ed N.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ed, how do i know if they are hubcentric?

these are not mustang wheels. they do have the bolt pattern for one, though. fyi, my bird is hub-swapped.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Most aftermarket wheels are made with a standard bore that accomodates many cars. The hub centric ring is usually used in all those applications to ensure concentricity.
As an example all Borbet 16" wheels use a 72.6mm bore from what I found out.

Long term tire wear and balance is best with the rings.

rm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts