TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EV News: Clarkson pees on Leafs

BBC TV programme in row over Nissan electric car

{Clarkson} ended the show with the comment that electric cars "are not the future."

Nissan blasted the episode as misleading because the car was not fully charged before starting the journey, but in comments to the Times newspaper on Wednesday Clarkson refused to apologise, saying: "That's how TV works."

Well..... except the article doesnt exactly bear out the headline. Both models sales dropped like a rock, but GM had an excuse.

Other than the fact Clarkson is right, to me the graphics of the two cars conveys the message.

The Leaf is cutesy and appeals to eco-weenies who bought Minis and SmartCars, the Volt looks like a freakin CAR!

Uh-oh! Look at this... Luxgen EV puts Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf on notice
Importantly, Luxgen has done something that so far no other automaker has attempted. Each and every one of the vehicles it sells was designed from scratch to take an internal combustion engine, or a plug-in hybrid powertrain, or a battery-electric pack.

In other words, with next to no modifications it can flex production from ICE to PHEV to BEV to meet consumer demand. And by offering alternative powertrains across its entire product line it could achieve economies-of-scale faster than special-built hybrids or electric vehicles.
and I mean LOOK at it. That thing can be rebadged by Chrysler in about 4 hours, total design time.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I don't care for electric cars either. My dad came home the other day with one of those new Tesla brochures, the one for their 4 door sedan. He thought I'd get excited when I saw that it would outperform my T-Bird. He was surprised when all I said was "Oh, okay." I still prefer IC powered cars. There's just something that a gas or diesel powered car has that electric cars just cannot replicate. It's like an electric car has no soul. I will always associate electric cars with wannabe hippie tree huggers. The Chevy Volt reminds me of something that Apple would produce.

In an interview after the episode, Andy Palmer, Nissan's executive vice-president, accused Top Gear of deceiving viewers, saying there were safeguards in place to stop Leaf drivers running out of power.
He pointed out that a device sending Nissan updates showed Clarkson had started the day with the battery only 40 percent charged and said the car appeared to have been driven in loops in Lincoln until the battery was flat.
I'm not cool with a car that sends out information as I drive around too.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
They are a bunch of whinners. I want one of those stickers for my back window "drive a hybrid, save the gas for me" I will always drive a gas or diesel powered vehicle.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Like most things, electric cars have their place. For the majority of people who don't care about cars and just want transportation for their 16 mile commute, an electric is completely feasible.

As far as Top Gear and Clarkson… I don’t watch that show because 90% of the stuff is on there for “entertainment”, not for true, objective analysis.

As far as the electric car running out of juice: That is like getting in a car with a ¼ of a tank of gas and then driving it till it quits. Then saying it is a POS. This is nothing different from 100 years ago when there were only a handful of gas stations around. People said the gas cars were worthless.

I just want to see diesel hybrids as I think that is the best solution to the problem.

Foadrunner said:
They are a bunch of whinners. I want one of those stickers for my back window "drive a hybrid, save the gas for me" I will always drive a gas or deisel powered vehicle
And what will you put in your car when there is no gas or diesel at the pumps due to any of a dozen reasons?

Some of us remember the embargo and lines at the pump. :beek:

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
The difference is when you do find a gasoline source you're waiting seconds not hours to get the car mobile ;)

James said it best in the actual episode, electric motors fine, but batteries are awful!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

And what will you put in your car when there is no gas or diesel at the pumps due to any of a dozen reasons?

Alcohol. At least in my Mustang. I can tune it for alcohol very easily.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The difference is when you do find a gasoline source you're waiting seconds not hours to get the car mobile ;)

James said it best in the actual episode, electric motors fine, but batteries are awful!
Definitely! What would be nice is if you could pull into a "fuel station", disconnect the battery pack, slide it out, slide in a fully charged one, connect it and hit the road.

Or if someone would come up with a battery about the size of a toaster that can give a car 200 miles on a charge. :znanner:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
We just picked up a brand new Chevy Volt for our program at School- Hybrids and electric vehicles, etc .. we are looking to train more techs in this field as time passes these cars are going to become more common and like any other car they need servicing and require special procedures with the high voltage systems.

The batteries are connected by a Bus bar, when they are all together, it is capable of producing hundreds of volts .. take off the bus bar and its harmless. You can replace individual batteries if they go dead.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

The embargo and lines at the pump was before my time and the problem with no gas at the pump will be after my time. We as a country are far to dependent on gas and diesel for that to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
We just picked up a brand new Chevy Volt for our program at School- Hybrids and electric vehicles, etc .. we are looking to train more techs in this field as time passes these cars are going to become more common and like any other car they need servicing and require special procedures with the high voltage systems.

The batteries are connected by a Bus bar, when they are all together, it is capable of producing hundreds of volts .. take off the bus bar and its harmless. You can replace individual batteries if they go dead.
I read an article when hybrids first came out about all the new training requirements; not only the obvious for mechanics and such, but also for fire and rescue personnel. And the not so obvious like automotive dismantlers/salvage personnel.

It was pretty interesting. They have to know where they can cut without hitting that bus bar and/or cables.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I read an article when hybrids first came out about all the new training requirements; not only the obvious for mechanics and such, but also for fire and rescue personnel. And the not so obvious like automotive dismantlers/salvage personnel.

It was pretty interesting. They have to know where they can cut without hitting that bus bar and/or cables.
Same goes for cars with Side Curtain airbags, etc .... fire/rescue personnel are used to being able to Cut the A or B pillars with the Jaws of life ... now they have to worry about what if an airbag blows up cutting the wires or something.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The embargo and lines at the pump was before my time and the problem with no gas at the pump will be after my time. We as a country are far to dependent on gas and diesel for that to happen anytime soon.
Really? Let me suggest a scenario:

Terrorist hijack 4 airplanes and crash them into the top 4 oil refiners in the US. (Information, which by the way takes about 5 seconds to find: http://www.eia.gov/neic/rankings/refineries.htm )

2 million barrels a day are removed from the demand of 19 million (http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.cfm?page=oil_home#tab2) per day requirement.

Gas prices skyrocket and everyone panics making a beeline to the pumps, pumping them dry within a few hours. (I saw this during the north AL tornados when we had gas, but no power to get it out of the tanks).

Now there is just a trickle of gas getting to their destinations and fuel is prioritized and rationed.

Welcome to a nation brought to it’s knees.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Really? Let me suggest a scenario:

Terrorist hijack 4 airplanes and crash them into the top 4 oil refiners in the US. (Information, which by the way takes about 5 seconds to find: http://www.eia.gov/neic/rankings/refineries.htm )

2 million barrels a day are removed from the demand of 19 million (http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.cfm?page=oil_home#tab2) per day requirement.

Gas prices skyrocket and everyone panics making a beeline to the pumps, pumping them dry within a few hours. (I saw this during the north AL tornados when we had gas, but no power to get it out of the tanks).

Now there is just a trickle of gas getting to their destinations and fuel is prioritized and rationed.

Welcome to a nation brought to it’s knees.

Hijack a plane with what a toothpick? Have you been to the airports since 9/11? You cant get through with fingernail clippers. I think thats alittle out there. If that were to happen then yes I would be wrong. But the same thing works for power grids and would be much easier to pull off than 4 airliner hijackings. If terrorists blow up abunch of different plants or distribution centers the electric cars are out of commission. Where the gas and diesel are not because it can be pumped with a generator alot easier than recharging 5 million rollerskates. Either way I dont think it will happen in my lifetime

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
I'm waiting for the TSA or FBI to sneak in and start deleting posts... :zwall:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Hijack a plane with what a toothpick? Have you been to the airports since 9/11? You cant get through with fingernail clippers. I think thats a little out there. If that were to happen then yes I would be wrong. But the same thing works for power grids and would be much easier to pull off than 4 airliner hijackings. If terrorists blow up a bunch of different plants or distribution centers the electric cars are out of commission. Where the gas and diesel are not because it can be pumped with a generator a lot easier than recharging 5 million roller-skates. Either way I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime
Ok, how about they buy/steal/rent a few semi's, fill them up with explosives and crash the gates at the refineries.

Part of my job is threat and risk analysis and then disaster recovery. The attitude of "It won't happen to me" is what causes 70% of the problems after a disaster happens. No matter if the disaster is manmade or natural.

I just don’t think a lot of people have a true grasp of just how dependent we are on oil.

But just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the argument here, I'm missing something. !!!!!

'The Grid' is even more vulnerable. Best argument for small scale 'septic tank' nukes there is, IMO.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand. My insurance company is offering me a 30% discount to put a tracker in my car. I dont think that will happen.
What's their rationale? Theft? What's the technology and what's involved?

If it was just GPS or transponder like classic lo-jack, all that is a wash. If it's another GPS system running on car batt power, then install a hold-off relay initiated with a hidden button.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts