TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a clay bar is safe for paint without clear coat? Thanx. :confused:

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Use it!! I clay bar mine once or twice a year. As long as you use whatever "lubricant" comes with the kit and keep the surface wet, it'll be like glass when you get done.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
I use it alot at work and it makes a big difference. Just use a good wax afterwards and it will look sweet

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I can't say enough about the Clay Bar. It works wonders.

Took the nasty grit off my wife's car. I did her car in 20 minutes.

My white T-Bird had little rusty colored specks on the paint. I spent an hour one afternoon cleaning the door with rubbing compound and polishing compound. Yes it looked nice and felt smooth, but it was a lot of work. I got the same, if not better, results with the clay bar. And I did the whole car in 15 minutes.

I'm not sure how it does it, but it does a great job.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Teal94BirdV8 said:
Just wondering if a clay bar is safe for paint without clear coat? Thanx. :confused:

the paint you've gotta watch out for is "basecoat clearcoat" if you have single shot " acrylic" you dont have be as carefull

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
how the hell are you guys doing your entire car in such little time? When I clay mine, i spend EASILY 4-6 hours...

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
I use it to remove paint overspray all the time. I can clay a full size truck and hand wax it in about 2 hours

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
speed95 said:
I use it to remove paint overspray all the time. I can clay a full size truck and hand wax it in about 2 hours
If it can remove overspray, wont it remove NON-CLEAR COATED paint?

(I dont think I got a difinitive answer the first time?)

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
It might remove some of the paint. I not sure but I can ask my boss tomorrow when I get to work. I work for a mobile detailing company and learn alot of stuff. What flaws on the paint do you have that makes you want to use a clay bar? If you are just wanting it to shine then the best thing is to use some compound then add some polish and finish it with a good paste wax. I know it sounds like alot of work but you will be surprised with the outcome.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
What about swirl marks in the paint??? I can't seem to remove them... On my hood, roof, and trunk lid especially... Any good products / techniques???

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Litning said:
how the hell are you guys doing your entire car in such little time? When I clay mine, i spend EASILY 4-6 hours...
Same here... a complete claybar, wash, wax took me about 8 hours.

·
Registered
366 Posts
yep, i spent my lovely day off using that thing. It was well worth it. The paint felt new..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts