TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done cleaning my MAF. Took it out for a spin.. defiantly increased power. I could feel a big difference. Used windx and qtip. Cut the head of the bolt with dremmel wheel to acomidate for flat head screw driver. good luck to anyone who chooses to do this. it is a great way to free up a few ponies.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok so when i go in there, what exacly am i cleaning? and what was the dremmel used for?

·
Registered
303 Posts
NM i found it on here, forgot about one of the other threads

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ther is a tech article on how to do it. Very useful. Just remember not to clean it with something that leave resedue. I used the dremmel to slot the bolt. Otherwise you have to buy a special torx bit to get it off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can attest to this as well. When I cleaned all the gunk off my MAF my CEL went off and the difference in power is quite amazing. If you have alot of miles on your ride and never looked at it, this is a must!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well i just replaced my MAF not 2 years ago, so i dont think i need to do this for a while :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I cleaned it out with some Electrical Cleaner, cleaned all the contacts and i dont really feel a difference in power, i have 122k miles on it and have a K&N filter, so i know it had to have gotten dirty, but i dont feel any difference.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Just make sure that it is electrical contact cleaner. It will say that on the can as such. There are different types of "electrical" cleaners out there.

It leaves no residue, and you do not have to use a Q-tip.

Just spray it clean, and let it dry for a couple of minutes.

You can buy it at local parts stores, and even Wal-Mart.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I did it last Feb and it was like a 100HP`s boost , don`t forget to reset the computer , I dissconected the battery overnight and next morning a brand new car!
BTW my wires had a thick black gunk which a couple of squirts from an electrical contact cleaner washed away

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah i used the contact cleaner, the stuff was like brakekleen i got it at ACE, i really dont feel a difference, you think allowing my eec to reset would make a difference?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
LordWolfx said:
Well i just replaced my MAF not 2 years ago, so i dont think i need to do this for a while :D
if you have a regular air filter you don´t need to worry , if you have an oil coated air filter you should clean your MAF probably every other oil change

1 - 13 of 13 Posts