TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a s*** ton of brake dust on my stock front wheels. The rears arent so bad. The last time i hand washed my car i got the rears spotless, but the fronts look half done, and smeared. Wonderin if theres a cleaner that wins yours heart over, or just a technique?

Thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
I cleaned my mother-in-law's rims. There had easily 5 years of brake dust built up on them from the previous owner. It took about a half hour each wheel to clean. Eagle One wheel cleaner and the judicious use of a small wire brush did the trick. I recommend waxing after you clean them. These are the front wheels. The wheel on the left is before and the wheel on the right is after.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You gonna be in michigan anytime soon? lol

·
Super Moderator
10,918 Posts
I used urethane clearcoat on my rims before I mounted tires, and they spray off clean with a hose, no matter how dirty they get.

Getting the old crap off was the hardest part. It was starting to come off in places anyway... I really hate that look.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i used engine degreser mixed with water to clean off a set of stock rims i just sold pretty much sprayed on and wiped off worked pretty good, prob not a good idea to get it on the tires tho

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,804 Posts
Not sure if its still make but some stuff called "Purple Power" does wonders as well. But wear gloves or it will eat the skin on your hands !

·
Registered
238 Posts
brake dust

Gees Guys, I worked part time for a detailer a couple summers ago and he turned me on to the REAL answer. It works on all types of wheels, chrome, painted, polished etc. Just squirt them with SCRUBBING BUBBLES bathroom tile and tub cleaner and then rinse with water. Usually you wont even have to scrub them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Always hit the rims with water first, some strong chemicals can burn the clear coat and leave bleached spots. Also you want whatever you use to be only just strong enough to clean them this prevents chem burns as well. This was always something that was harped on while working for a car wash.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll get some wet rags to wipe the wheel and gank some scrubbing bubbles from my kitchenett and try that one. I love how so many people have these little recipes to fix and clean stuff. Maybe there should be a sticky on cleaning tricks

·
Registered
53 Posts
speaking of cleaning ideas, I cleaned my stock exhaust tips on my gt mustang once with some crest toothpaste and I couldnt believe how new they looked....lol.... I am going to try the scrubbing bubbles method on my wheels to see if they get clean, since they probably havent been clean in 4-5 years because the previous owner never washed it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gees Guys, I worked part time for a detailer a couple summers ago and he turned me on to the REAL answer. It works on all types of wheels, chrome, painted, polished etc. Just squirt them with SCRUBBING BUBBLES bathroom tile and tub cleaner and then rinse with water. Usually you wont even have to scrub them.

LOL!! Thats great, I cant wait to try it! I HATE cleaning brake dust off the fronts, no matter HOW I scrub the rims still look slightly stained...
Scrubbing bubbles it is!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Wheels

I just use good old simple green a couple times and they are ready to go!

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a company called Superior Products, they are located in the Midwest, I live in Illinois and I get their product at NAPA/McKays. Anyway they have a mild acid cleaner that will take just about anything off and its great for little spaces. I used it when I worked at a body shop where I detailed and did paint prep. I have tried it on chrome, machined aluminum, cleared, and painted havent had any trouble.

USE AT YOUR DISCRETION:
You would want to have a hose ready, wet the rim first, spray on the cleaner and let it set for about 15 seconds, then rinse it off.
DO NOT LEAVE IT ON OR LET IT DRY! (after all it is acid)
I normally have an old sponge and wash with soap and water after. I used it on my Cougar (30th Ann. "Mark VII" rims) You can repeat if necessary.
I wouldn't use the same water to wash the rest of the car after though.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
we have a wheel "acid" at the car dealership i work at. it works amazing on almost every wheel i clean, i have yet to use it on chrome but any other wheel it works excellent. ill see if i can find the maker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts