TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rescently cleaned my maf and then reset the computer figuring that it would relearn with the cleaner maf....well after a long while it threw a code "system to lean" and so i unpluged the comp again and yet again it threw the code....i dont feel any power loss and my gas miledge went from around 19ish to 25ish on dailly driving in various conditions....im doin the same routes and all so its not b/c im doin more of a highway type driving....im wondering if this codes a problem or something to just forget about....the maf wires were rediculously dirty...i cleaned them with a q-tip and windex....there was a slight problem with my idle for a little bit but that has cleared up and i think that was b/c of a bad batch of gas

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Did you pull Fuse #15 and then start the car (it won't)? Just disconnecting
the battery may not clear your pcm unless it sits for anywhere as little as
10 minutes (possibly) up to as much as a couple of hours...so we've been
told. Who knows? But pulling the fuse and attempting to start the engine is
a guarantee that any residual charge for the pcm left in the system has
been drained.

If you haven't already, try that procedure, and see if it eliminates your
"too lean" code generation.....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i disconnected the battery but thnx for telling me that i may try that one day....and see if it doesnt come up again.....i had it cleared by the autozone guy who checked it so yeah......i dont know the cars fine.....it may be runing a little lean but its power isnt down

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
generally , a leaner engine produces more power and the prob is that you can get greedy and run lean enuff to burn holes inna pistons which I understand is not something you want to do,so be careful with lean codes! also, that maf is a kinda sensitive thing , which I spray with a small shot of carb cleaner , and if there is any residue that has to be removed after that a fine (really fine ) camel hair artists brush with a little dab of carb cleaner on it, Carefully applied, with a steady hand, verrrry delicately is the ticket, as the wire in those bobbins is awfully fine, and disturbing them too much can cause false readings , and other bad things... also dry thoroughly before reinstalling and starting...... good luck

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i relized something.....the leanness could be a cooling system issue also......my temp gauges is reading 0 the coldest all the time......the car could be leanign out cuase of false readings by the temp guage......or somthing to that affect it could be the thermostat being stuck open or the sensor has gone bad idk......does anyone have insight with the added info?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Joey, that year Birdie has two temp sensors; one for the dash, one for the computer . Your dash sensor may be bad as indicated by the guage, it remains to be seen wether the other one is bad...., and I think , though I'm not positive on this (it's late) that a too cold reading would cause the engine to run rich.... LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
i tried the "pull the fuse and try start the car" thing yesterday...it work effortlessy well. took just a minute to do. would have been better if the light didn't came on again 15 minutes later.

thanks for the trick!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts