TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure where to post this so ill post it here.

i want to clean up the engine bay on the t bird...you know make it look like they do at the car dealer :tongue:

whats the best way to clean and detail the engine bay. i mean, i want this bad boy to look new! :D

thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i wouldnt use anything greasy like armorall to make it shiny because stuff will only stick to it more. i suppose you'd want some good degreasers tohelp with grunge

i'd use dawn a good sponge or 3 and a bucket.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i usually use some kind of degreaser from auto store then go back over it with simple green and a toothbrush all over. then lightly spray off with hose but not to blast it, just mist it and avoid stream on anything electrical.

after its all dry i spray a couple times of armor-all like 2 ft above the engine then close the hood right away. come back in 10 min and its alllll shiny. dealership looking. or you could just use a rag and armor-all and wipe down the hoses and such.

·
Registered
484 Posts
run the car till the motor is warm (loosens up greese). cover every electrical connector/ component (coils, alt, anything that shouldnt get wet) with plastic wrap. when motor is just warm to the touch (not hot) spray down entire engine with a good degreser of yout choice, scrub any thick build up with rag or tooth brush, hose down motor. and you should be good to go

·
Registered
33 Posts
another tip..........I usually use simple green full strength undiluted and hose the motor down while its running...........once done, close hood and let run 15 mins to dry it out......

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this is frowned upon, but I've cleaned all my engines for 30 years at the local car wash, saturating the engine and compartment with the low pressure tire cleaner or engine cleaner if available, then come back with the high pressure on everything. While I don't hold the wand still over the alternator, I do bear down on the rest of the engine. While I guess I can NOT recommend it because of the electronics and connectors, I've never had a problems this way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm with ya Mike.........done the same but the secret is NOT to get too close with the water and dont stay too long in one spot with the pressure.......

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
any kind of water pressure from a car wash and engine bay electronics does not sit well with me...

figure with something like engine bay cleaning i would take my time and patience instead of "power wash" it and risk getting water places you don't want them even if it is easier and faster. i mean you spend hours washing and claybaring or waxing the outside....why not spend the same detail and elbow grease on the engine?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Is everyone forgetting the potential danger of spraying cold water on a hot engine?
If you drive 85 mph on the freeway, stop the car, jump out, and immediately hit your exhaust manifolds with ice water, then you can do some damage. But if you drive to the car wash, take your time getting things covered, spray it down with degreaser, and then wash it down, the engine will almost always be cool enough to not be damaged by cool water.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you drive 85 mph on the freeway, stop the car, jump out, and immediately hit your exhaust manifolds with ice water, then you can do some damage. But if you drive to the car wash, take your time getting things covered, spray it down with degreaser, and then wash it down, the engine will almost always be cool enough to not be damaged by cool water.
Well put Josh, I drive my car there it is 60 seconds from my house my temp needle barely moves off the blue cold line. If you do not use the high pressure near the electronics you should be okay just use low pressure up top.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
any kind of water pressure from a car wash and engine bay electronics does not sit well with me...

figure with something like engine bay cleaning i would take my time and patience instead of "power wash" it and risk getting water places you don't want them even if it is easier and faster. i mean you spend hours washing and claybaring or waxing the outside....why not spend the same detail and elbow grease on the engine?
i fully agree. i recently spent about 2 and a half hours detailing my engine bay and it wasnt even dirty. some things just take time to do thoroughly and to do well. half assing isnt called whole assing for a reason. just spend some time with a few rags and some good cleaner.

-John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts