TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, ive seen some stuff on here about castrol super clean. Sounds like what i want...but does it really work as well as i have heard it does??

My car has 11 years of dust and dirt under the hood (because for the first 11 years of its life, the person that owned it obviously didnt care about keeping things clean) and i want it gone.

Secondly, how exactly does it work? Clearly i should cover up the alternator and the battery cables/posts right? what else?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive never heard or used that stuff before. When ever i clean under my hood i just use hot soap and water, a rag, and i just go slow and careful. Then simply rinse it off, but ive never cleaned the alt, feul rails, wires, etc for obvious reasons and dont put cold water on a hot egine. But there was a thread not too long ago probably b4 you joined heres the link
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=115811
hope it helps a little, if all else fails just ask the guys at advance auto or where ever you go
Good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
its just time, elbow grease, degreaser, rags, water, and simple green.
take your time you wouldnt want to make any costly mistakes.

·
Super Moderator
16,988 Posts
its just time, elbow grease, degreaser, rags, water, and simple green.
take your time you wouldnt want to make any costly mistakes.
ditto, i've tried the misc cleaners like gunk and never had results that i've been satisfied with. last year i went all out and cleaned everything with soapy water, rags, and some paint cleaner. it looks cleaner than the rest of my car now lol

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Just a little bit of FYI. Super Clean works and works good... too good. Dad decided to use it on the 69 Plymouth we are working on as well. It stripped the paint out of the entire engine compartment. Course we will most likely strip the paint out eventually So I guess it did us a little bit of good.. ;-)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I use simple green and rags/brushes. Mine was a daily driver until September, so I had to do it frequently. If you have the time, taking the "easy parts" off and cleaning is a great way to go; also, you can touch up the basic paint colors while you're at it and really have a sweet bay!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah im actually gonna work on that today. im gonna take off the intake tube. and im gonna take off the alternator cuz im switchin the new one from my 96 into my 97, so while thats out, i can clean alot better.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Alot of those spray engine degreasers you get at auto zone type stores work well too. Let it sit on there about ten fifthteen minutes then spray off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i used this stuff my bro uses on his mustang. its called captain richard's. its actually just kinda more of a general purpose cleaner but it ended up working pretty well. i mean, my engine bay was absoultely filthy cuz ever since i got the car back in the spring i have been busy doing other things to it and havnt had time to clean under the hood, so this stuff probably didnt work as good as some of those degreasers, but it definitely helped a heck of a lot.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
I used black magic engine cleaner; it left all the plastic looking like it had been armor-alled. found it at the zone.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah, I've never actually cleaned my engine bay (travesty, I know), so it's filthy. I've been wondering what exactly to do about it. I guess next time I head home and it's not below 60 I'll have to try this out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah man, mine had been in serious need of cleaning and just the little bit of difference the cleaner i used made was well worth it in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts