TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are your headlight lenses yellowed and don't want to pay $100+ for new ones. Try this simple process. Get some nail polish remover, a cotton rag, some plexiglass polish and a drill or Dremel tool with a buffing bit.

Apply a small amount of nail polish remover to the cotton rag. Wipe the lens with the wet rag. This will remove the yellowed, oxidized plastic. It will probably leave some white streaks.

Next apply some of the plexiglass polish the same as would when you wax your car. Use the drill or Dremel tool at a slow speed to polish the lens. I used my Dremel tool with a cotton attachment at the 1 or 2 setting (max 5). If you use too fast of a speed you will melt the plastic.

You should be able to see inside the lens again and your lights should be much brighter.
It took me about 30 minutes to do my 95 TBird and my 88 F150.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well that may work fine but depending on how badly oxidized the plastic is I've found a bit of Miguiars's(sp?) PlastX plastic polish on a sponge cuts right though the oxidized haze and polishes the plastic right back to being crystal clear again.

And amazingly quick I might add. What would of taken me 15~20 minutes with a tub of turtle wax rubbing compound and a sponge is like 3~5 minutes of polishing with the PlastX brand polishing compound...

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
wanna know what worked on my gold cars headlights? tooth paste :D dollar store cheap tooth paste with "advanced whitening" and "tartar control" lol I bought it and a cheap tooth brush and went to town with it, than took out some windex and wiped it clean... tada... although they look almost "smoked" on the inside from age. I think they look good :D

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
As you might know... a link was recently posted to an a video of an episode of "two guys garage". It's the one where they tune up a cheap tbird they just bought.

In it they suggest the old toothpaste trick for the headlights. Several tried it to ho-hum success. i'm glad it worked for you. I then suggested the PlastX too and several others concured it kicks butt on our yellowed headlights!

It's well worth the cost imo. I used the tub of rubbing compound I had for about two years just becuase I already had it. Now I wish I had tried the PlastX sooner. It's a tad pricey.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
As you might know... a link was recently posted to an a video of an episode of "two guys garage". It's the one where they tune up a cheap tbird they just bought.

In it they suggest the old toothpaste trick for the headlights. Several tried it to ho-hum success. i'm glad it worked for you. I then suggested the PlastX too and several others concured it kicks butt on our yellowed headlights!

It's well worth the cost imo. I used the tub of rubbing compound I had for about two years just becuase I already had it. Now I wish I had tried the PlastX sooner. It's a tad pricey.
Another one here for the PlastX. I used to use Eagle One Never Dull and then wax them, I like the PlastX a lot better. Well worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I use Eagle One tire and wheel cleaner with PlastX. Unfortunately, I still have that damn yellow glue. Only if I could get rid of that.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
you could get rid of that by bakeing your headlights in the oven a 375 for 5-10 minutes keep an eye on them though, then you put on some gloves and use a flat head screw driver to help you pry the lense off, then you simplypeel all the old glue off while its still warm and plyable , hit them with some clear silicone and let them dry before reinstalling them.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
That'll take care of the yellow glue that nothing else will help with... My advise was about how to deal with the hazy yellow oxidized plastic lens itself. Until thats cleaned up you really don't notice the old "yellowed" glue that's holding the lens on. lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
PlastX is the way to go. Then if you can find a place that still sells it, hit them with Megiuars Clear Plastic Detailer. Makes them look almost brand new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the plastic, plexiglass polish by itself a couple of times. It helped but, using the nail polish remover before the polish gave MUCH better results.

·
Administrator
14,392 Posts

Could you post the link to that thread I missed it and wouldn't know what search term to use to find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Um try searching the vid forum for "two guys garage"?

Actually since the forum's software update a little while ago I've noticed the "Boolean" search option is no longer listed on the search page. While it was poorly documented you could search for two and guys and garage and it would only find threads that contained all three search terms. You could also use other operators like "not" as well...

edit: here it is...

I wonder if boolean is the default search option now? It seems like it might be...

Anyway it's kind of a boring episode but I watched the whole thing anyway just because it's about a tbird. lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was amazed at how new my lights looked after wetsanding them with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit and following that up with compound and PlastX polish, and then wax. The PlastX alone worked well, but the wetsanding got rid of ALL the yellow that was there. Since then, I've just been using the PlastX and they still look new, except for that dang yellow glue...

·
Registered
825 Posts
i just ground the injection bumps off of my brothers 94 and tool some soap water and sand paper to it then the buffer. look real nice

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used brake fluid on a paper towel on my `95 P71 and it worked decent.

While restoring my Suburban, I noticed that the instrument gauge plastic cover was yellowed.

Used some Brasso and it worked well.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.