TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i have a problem with the clear coat on the bird. between the sunroof and the back glass, for some reason, the clear coat has decided to start peeling. it gets worse every day. i need to know if there is a sealer i can spray on or brush on that will stop it from getting any worse until i can get the car painted sometime next year.

thanks,

jamie

·
Registered
11 Posts
To my knowledge, no. I'm having the same issue on my rear deck spoiler. Bubbling and peeling like snakeskin. But I think it may have been the fact that some 'tard decided to burn the clearcoat with a high-speed buffer before selling it to me. :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya when i bought my car, the roof had a few spots that were already cracking and bubbling and starting to form slight surface rust. i ended up getting sick of it, and sanded down and primered the roof, and thats how it stands to this day.....still in primer :-(

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Seems to be a common problem with roofs and trunk lids. I kind of slowed mine down by sanding lightly with 600 grit and spraying the sanded area with clear lacquer. Once the base coat is pitted you can still see it under the clear, but it not as noticeable.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
my bumper is doing it i was thinking maybe clear nail polish but my mother said it might yellow over time in the sun. im thinking of cleaning it all off then using a clearcaot spraypaint so there is no way water etc can get under and lift up more clearcoat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I must hold the record then because I have the trifecta going. I have it on the roof, the rear bumper and its starting on the trunk lid. I've pretty much let it go for now because if I'm ever able to get the time/cash to repair the rockers, the whole car is going to need paint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see more paint just fading away down to the primer than I do flaking problems. Could be the location. I'm NC. I have 7 birds 91 and up, and all the paint problems are simply just fading, wearing off, but no flaking. Either way, some sanding and repaint or just re-clear is the fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Exactly the same with my car. Roof, hood and C-pillars with a little bit starting on the trunk. Wasn't cheap to fix either... body shop said I needed to take all the above metal, than re-prime and paint. I sighed and told them to fix.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I haven’t done this personally but a neighbor did this to his Sable. He wet sanded the effected area 1000 -1500 grit but do not sand threw the base coat let dry tack, and spray clear coat Dupla-Color sells a spray can. His came out ok and better than flakey pieces of clear coat. Personally I would save some money to have the car repainted and when it is complete it will last another 10 to 15 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts