TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock set of 15" on my dakota. They are machine finish on the face and painted graphite on the side planes. (like this)

With them being 12 years old the clear is flaking off from the center out. I assume it is just clear like used on the body of the truck, its pretty thin.
My question is: can I dismount the tires, and use a paint stripper like "aircraft stripper" with a soft bristled brush to remove the clear and not hurt the aluminum?
I figure it will probably take the graphite off, but I figured I could give that a coat with a spray can or just polish it.

·
Super Moderator
7,621 Posts
Aircraft stripper can not be used on aluminum, it will actually damage the aluminum itself. The best way to fix that would be to buy a mini DA sander and sand the whole wheel down, then repaint it. You can use the same hardened urethane clearcoat that would be used to paint the body of the truck. For color, if you want the cheap way out, you can actually use rattle-can spray paint on the aluminum wheel (after it is sanded and prepped properly) and then spray the urethane clearcoat over that, and it will be just as durable as the factory finish.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up close and to the touch the wheel face has the machined texture (its not perfectly smooth) from the lathe i assume. Will the DA mess up that texture?
Will the places the clear hasn't come off yet be noticable when its recleared cause it hasn't gotten it out of the little grooves in the surface or weathering on the spots that have been exposed?

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
I stripped a set of wheels I bought with a commercial paint stripper to get the clearcoat off; the worst part was the undercoating that was on the inside dish...

I cleaned, polished, and recoated the wheels with a smooth gloss clearcoat, and they stay clean as well.

I think I used 'Strypeeze'...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did a set of wheels like posted above, turned out pretty good. Some of the clear was stubborn, but you can also wet sand, rebuff, and then clear the wheels again if need be.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the stripper say if it is safe for aluminum or are they all bad for aluminum?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts