TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i currently have 245/40/18 tires on 18x9 38mm offset rims. im getting new tires tomorrow and i want to go thicker with the front tires.

BUT i was told i will have clearence issues with putting anything thicker than 40 on these rims.

does anyone know if ill be able to fit anything thicker on these rims without them rubbing on the control arm or anything?

PLEASE this would be a big help. id prefer not to go the trial and error route on this one...

also will i be able to go wider?

i would like to go maybe something like 250or55/50or55/18

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am running 255/45/18 in the front of my car with no problems.....but I also have 36mm offset wheels. So yes, you could go with a wider tire but you may have to invest in some little 1/8" spacers for the front wheels.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with those spacers you wont see a distinct difference from the back without them will you?
also what about thicker? 255/50/18? not necessarily wider?
what width are your rims? mine are 9 inches wide which is pushing it with a 38mm offset

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
with those spacers you wont see a distinct difference from the back without them will you?
also what about thicker? 255/50/18? not necessarily wider?
what width are your rims? mine are 9 inches wide which is pushing it with a 38mm offset
No. An 1/8" spacer would only equal to about 3mm.

I'm running 9" wheel also with 36mm offset.

And I could be wrong about this whole thing. I'm just not sure if you can pull off a bigger tire with a 38mm offset wheel. But like I said, my wheel and tire combo is fine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
danalba, for your info:
On a 255/50/18 tire, the 255 is the width of the tire, the 50 is a percentage of the width and equals how tall the sidewall is (50% of 255 in this case), and 18 is the size rim it's made to fit...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts