TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 with approx 300,000mi. Its my daily driver and it just started ticking up to about 1500rpm under 50% accelleration. I dont have any check engine lights and the car still runs fine. No smoke either and it doesn't burn oil. But it ticks pretty loudly under load and i'm wondering if i should just park it or keep driving it until it pops. The trans front seal is leaking, the trans fluid level is ok (mercon sp inside). Im planning on a motor/trans swap and i do have money in the bank waiting for that, but im gonna get all the miles i can out of the stock engine/trans.:D

It is defenitly coming from below the car and not the heads. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will check the plug magnet when i change the oil next, it only has 1month on the current oil and im not gonna check the plug yet. the cat converters already have been silenced with large hose clamps and its not the cats. its coming from the crank it sounds like, or maybe the trans torque converter area. the trans is leaking and i wouldn't doubt that it is about to go.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i have the same problem, though mine is exactly that, an exhaust leak and a bad cat.

NIGEL, WHEN ARE WE GONNA DO THE EXHAUST MAN! -jk-

~MG~

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup it needs trans rebuild, new t/c, and engine rebuild. my ford guy only works on deisels now but has a SC 94 badass too and he doesnt know much about the 4.6 birds off the top of his head. he thinks its the timing chain tensioner. is there a tensioner on the 4.6 timing chain(s)?

engine-
leaking oil pan/oil pres sens. (extreemly slow leak)
ticking! dam!
300,000mi approx (trans also)
trans-
shutters into 4th always unless you really baby it
leaks out of front

im just gonna take it in soon, hopefully i wont mess anything up too bad i have to go to school and work and this sucks. i may park it if the problem worsens, but it only ticks around 15-1700rpms and not that bad. so i think i can ride this out. im takin the birdy to ford tomorrow to have a 4.6 pro look this thing over and tell me what to do. :D
thanks for tips if y'all got any!
ryan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are 2 tensioners for the chains on the 4.6L, but if they were bad I would think the noise would happen all the time, not at a specific RPM range.
thats what i thought too. maybe the drivers side tensioner is just getting slightly worn out? I listen to this motor and watch gauges like a hawk so if it sounds real bad ill turn it off pop the hood and call tripple A. i've beat the hell out of this car every day for the last 5 years. ill find out a lil more tomorrow. im gonna drive it tomorrow and hopefully not mess it up bad. but another motor will only cost me like $100 max so im not worried.(old used tbird 4.6 obviously)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bad crankshaft bearing is the diagnosis.
this is coming from the 4.6 guy at my local ford shop, who does side work for me.
I dont doubt it.
he said i should just buy a new 4.6 and be done. rebuilding it will take about 1-2 months and has no warranty. a new motor $2400 plus tax from ford has a 3yr/70,000mi warranty.
what he really suggests is that i buy a tbird used and just take the motor trans from it which is a good idea, b/c the junkyards are getting thin with tbirds these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts