TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got an interesting situation here. my 1993 Tbird has the digital climate control console and today it stopped working. when I try and switch AC on the display has no power and ac controls rendered inoperable. Bottom line no AC. tried looking for an AC fuse under dash all I found was the 30 amp fuse for blower. tried the fuse box under hood on drivers side and found nothing related to the AC. :zdunno:

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Eatc

There's a few things you can check..

Check your 5 Amp fuse in the fuse box under the dash..

The 5 Amp fuse (Fuse 14) controls the following:

Shift Selector Lamp
Vehicle Maintenance Monitor
Electronic Intrument Cluster & Electronic Instrument Cluster Switch
Rear Defrost Switch
AC/Heat Selector Switch
Radio (Memory Only)
Factory Radio Display

Next..You can remove the EATC so you can back-probe the (black) ground wire on the EATC harness..

Then just find a good ground somewhere on the car, and try turning your EATC "on"..

Last..Have your Alternator checked out..If the Voltage Regulator went bad it could be putting out potentially 20 volts!.. :eek:

A bad Voltage Regulator can cause all sorts of weird electrical problems..Like causing your EATC not to function..

After you've tried everything I've suggested..If your EATC still doesn't work..It might be time to replace it..

S4Gunn has an EATC for sale from one of the 1993 (5.0) Thunderbird's he's parting out..

Report back with any updates..

Good Luck!

Rayo..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume the eatc is the ac control console? Anyways thanks for the responce. I sort of suspected the ignition switch mounted on the steering column due to the fact that this sort of thing happened before on another vehicle I had so I pulled apart the driver underside trim and steering column trim and found that the switch had power and ground at the harness plug but no outgoing signal. Pulled that plug off with ignition switch still mounted on column and just put a thin file to the brass terminals and some dielectric grease and plugged it back in. Also while there the ignition lock cylinder had quite a bit of play and it was fragmented and decided on a new one so I replaced that. Reconnected negative battery terminal, turned the new ILC and walla! AC, turn signals worked flawlessly. Can't tell you honestly if it was a bad contact on ignition switch or ignition lock cylinder or both but glad it was that easy. Also for those who might need to replace that ignition switch mounted on your steering column, you'll need a special hollowed torks bit to remove of which I don't have but will be looking to invest in one.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I assume the eatc is the ac control console? Anyways thanks for the responce. I sort of suspected the ignition switch mounted on the steering column due to the fact that this sort of thing happened before on another vehicle I had so I pulled apart the driver underside trim and steering column trim and found that the switch had power and ground at the harness plug but no outgoing signal. Pulled that plug off with ignition switch still mounted on column and just put a thin file to the brass terminals and some dielectric grease and plugged it back in. Also while there the ignition lock cylinder had quite a bit of play and it was fragmented and decided on a new one so I replaced that. Reconnected negative battery terminal, turned the new ILC and walla! AC, turn signals worked flawlessly. Can't tell you honestly if it was a bad contact on ignition switch or ignition lock cylinder or both but glad it was that easy. Also for those who might need to replace that ignition switch mounted on your steering column, you'll need a special hollowed torks bit to remove of which I don't have but will be looking to invest in one.
I didn't realize your car was such a "basket case"..

I just assumed by the question you asked in your initial post that the only issue your car had was a non-functioning EATC..

Maybe next time you should give some more details..If you have a question that pertains to more than one issue you're having with your car..

Rayo..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts