TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening, I have a 97 Tbird 4.6 that was sitting for a few months. The battery was weak and I had to jump start many times before I finally replaced the battery. I found out that the keyless entry system lost its programming and also noticed the fan motor running at high speed without the climate control being on. The climate control currently has no display and I already changed out the fan power controller. I checked all fuses and breakers and when I have the entire CC unit disconnected, the fan is still running high speed.
Needless to say, everything worked fine prior to the car sitting.
Can anyone give some insight into this situation as it is driving me crazy. I've been working on cars for 30 years and this has me baffled. I'm not ready to swap out the head unit as I don't think that's the problem.
Many thanks in advance for anything tossed my way

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Mirch912 said:
..."changed out the fan power controller."

Do you mean the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found a head unit in the junk yard and changed it out. It solved the problem but unfortunately the digital display does not light up. However, the hot and cold controls work and I'll take that until I find another working unit. I'm thinking all the jump starting i did may have blown out the unit!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem.

There are a number of listings for the SATC head units available on Ebay for various prices...

I was having problems with mine too. The digital display would flicker wildly. The blower would not come on at times, and the lights for the knobs were non-op.

I removed the unit, and cleaned all the male and female connections with electronic spray cleaner, bought new little light bulbs for the knobs. Put it all back together using di-electric grease on the connectors, and so far so good. The corrosion on the connectors must have been causing the problem.

I also cleaned the sensor behind the vent on the bezel with the electronic spray cleaner. This "vent" can be partly seen in the top right of the first pic.

Before

After

The spray cleaner I used.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I also cleaned the sensor behind the vent on the bezel with the electronic spray cleaner. This "vent" can be partly seen in the top right of the first pic.
Fascinating! This whole time I thought that vent was there for the chime but it just occurred to me with as many times I've removed the entire bezel and trays that I have nothing there, lol. I may just have to find something else to do with that spot. I'm not sure if I'd ever go through the trouble of upgrading the climate control.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem.

There are a number of listings for the SATC head units available on Ebay for various prices...

I was having problems with mine too. The digital display would flicker wildly. The blower would not come on at times, and the lights for the knobs were non-op.

I removed the unit, and cleaned all the male and female connections with electronic spray cleaner, bought new little light bulbs for the knobs. Put it all back together using di-electric grease on the connectors, and so far so good. The corrosion on the connectors must have been causing the problem.

Before

After

The spray cleaner I used.
How important is that little guy? Like, if it's all goobered up like you had it, what will happen with the climate control system?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The sensor tells the SATC the passenger compartment temperature. The contaminates will act as an insulator impeding the accuracy of the semi-automatic controls, (slow to change). And/or act as a insulator/conductor giving a faulty reading.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Nice to know. Next time the panel is off, I'll be sure to take a look at that little guy and clean him off appropriately. :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It is good to know. But it only helps, if you use the Auto feature, which not many people take advantage of. Not sure why as it's one of the best features on the car.

Every pic of a MN12 interior I have seen has the temp set on 90 and fan on manual like they are trying to trick the system into pumping out more heat.

Just set the temp like you would set your house t-stat, and it will lock in! It wont blow any cold air, just heat once the coolant temp warms a little.

My old T-Bird has it, but my new one doesn't. It's a PITA to constantly adjust the temp dial. Why anyone would want to do that when they don't have to? \rant off.

Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It is good to know. But it only helps, if you use the Auto feature, which not many people take advantage of. Not sure why as it's one of the best features on the car.

Every pic of a MN12 interior I have seen has the temp set on 90 and fan on manual like they are trying to trick the system into pumping out more heat.

Just set the temp like you would set your house t-stat, and it will lock in! It wont blow any cold air, just heat once the coolant temp warms a little.

My old T-Bird has it, but my new one doesn't. It's a PITA to constantly adjust the temp dial. Why anyone would want to do that when they don't have to? \rant off.

Al

Every single time I get in my wife's new Escape, with a fully automatic climate control, she has the damn thing set on HI, the she turns the fan off when she gets hot.

"Honey" I tell her, "Just set it for a comfortable temperature, and it'll run the heat up until the interior reaches that temperature. That way, we don't have to fiddle with it all the time."

"It doesn't work that way, it gets hotter faster at Hi".
It gets hotter, but not faster...

But I only recently broke her of the habit of playing with the thermostat in the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts