TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a 32 airbag code & it appears the clock spring is bad. Does anyone know definitively if the original discontinued part F5SZ-14A664-A is forward compatible with something still available. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
It says Taurus but it's the same part. When I installed one on my 95 LX the mounting holes didn't line up, but the mounting was dimpled right where you needed to drill to mount it on a T-Bird.
Be prepared to replace the control module as well. I don't have the part number, but they are used on several models and still available. I found mine on e-bay.

Forgot to add: Thank Grog6 for the information. He was the one who provided the source, so I could take the piece of black tape off of the light on my dash that covered that irritating flashing light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply. As a followup, is replacement of the module a mandatory item or is it an occasional which may or may not be bad. Just trying to clarify. Much thanks again to all who contribute.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
If it still throws the code after the new clock spring, that's probably the next item in the replacement list. I've seen it come up a couple times where that fixed the code.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,641 Posts
I have always heard, and was in fact trained, to replace the module along with the sensors. Why? It was never really explained (unless I dozed off). Apparently the virgin circuitry and drivers can only handle the flow of electrons once

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I recently purchased a garage kept '96 Sport with 92k miles originally from Arizona and this is the bug I need to solve. Everything else in the car appears to be clean & original - except for the black tape over the flashing airbag light. I will repost results when I receive the replacement from Tasca and have an opportunity to install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The factory manual says that a non replaceable fuse inside the control manual will blow if the car is used with the airbag light flashing.
Mine went from flashing the airbag code to flashing the control module code when I installed the new clock spring. The good news is that the control module is available, and fairly easy to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the clarification. If you dont mind, if I run into any questions doing this, can I hit you up for advice?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
There's a resistor glued to a thermal fuse inside the module; the module is considered toast by the factory if it operates as designed.

It's blown a detonator, so it's suspect. :)

At least our airbags don't contain ammonium nitrate, so are likely still good after all these years; they're sodium Azide with some other chemicals to keep from killing us.
(Sodium Azide makes sodium hydroxide; they add silica and other chemicals to neutralize it. Still, don't breathe the smoke, chemistry takes time, lol)

I have read of people replacing the thermal fuse, and it working, but I replaced the control module with the airbags and sensor.

BTW, the "Safing Sensor" that is in series with the ones under the hood is located under the drivers' kick panel.

Kicking the panel or stomping your foot with the underhood sensor in the triggered position blows the airbags, even after the accident, so be aware.

BTDT :)

Reactions: tbird1942

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im getting a 32 airbag code & it appears the clock spring is bad. Does anyone know definitively if the original discontinued part F5SZ-14A664-A is forward compatible with something still available. THANKS IN ADVANCE

I have a new oem ford F5SZ-14A664-A in a sealed box if your interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh, I ordered the reccomended generic airbag from Tasca 2 days ago. How much for the original you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a new oem ford F5SZ-14A664-A in a sealed box if your interested
Sorry for delay but I can only sign on TCCOA at work. I would sell it for what i paid 75. plus shipping

Also forgot to ask, did your passenger air bag go off and if it did, did it rip the dash board around the air bag compartment when it went off? Just curious because it did this on my sons 97 T-bird and I was wondering if they all do this. I was able to install a used air back and reset it without changing the clock motor. That's why I have one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks to all who replied to the thread. I was finally able to get around to attempting this. The advice was spot on, removed old part and installed the new generic Ford clockspring as outlined by ThunderbirdLX above. Replacing the control.module was unnecessary. A quick post-mortem shows the ribbon cable became detached from the intermediate plug on the inside. Horn & cruise work and I finally was able to remove the black tape over the flashing SRS warning light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts