TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is throwing the code for bank 2 rich, and im getting that ****ty clogged cat smell sometimes and the car is a dog starting off it stumbles, but once it gets going its fine, so im pretty sure my cats clogged, but was wondering if anyone else had any input here, im deffinately cuttin the cats for sure.

·
5,650 Posts
Broken up cats typically set codes for catalyst efficiency. You can be sometimes make sure by banging on the cats or nearby exhaust and listening for any loose materials. However, clogged cats typically affect the car the most under load, making it feel like it has no power whatsoever. Also, it can cause the car to run much warmer than normal.

What is causing your rich code? Have you investigated that and found what you need to do to fix it?

·
5,650 Posts
If the plugs indicate that the engine is truly running rich, then the oxygen sensor can be credited as being okay. Otherwise, the oxygen sensor might be suspect. If you haven't cleaned the MAF lately AND reset the computer, A/F calculations might be off, though generally they tend to be in the lean direction, not rich. If you have done anything lately and not reset the computer, it might be using it's old learned strategies which may no longer be valid for the way the car currently runs, thereby possibly triggering false codes. If the car is truly running rich and only on the one side and the oxygen sensor is okay, you need to check the fuel pressure and fuel injectors on that side. Also, make sure that the intake air sensor and coolant temp sensors are providing good readings to the computer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
maby the mass air flow senser?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
unplug and pull the 02 sensors out to tell if theres a plugged cat. if it idles or revs easier they may be an issue. What kind of plugs are you running also check the gaps. Factory is .52-.56 as i remember but i wouldnt gapp them any more than .35 or .30 for boosted apps. Also are the wires new?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im guessing factory plugs and wires, the car was bone stock when i got it and still is pretty much.I'll try pulling the maf and seeing how it runs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its the maf, thanks always sideways 97 you saved me a alot of cursing/guessing.looks like i bought 2 new 02 sensors for nothing but oh well nothing like spare parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts