TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was looking through some threads and someone said that cats can be clogged and you can still feel exhaust coming out of the tailpipe. So, how can I tell if mine are clogged? I'm just trying to track down any potential problems here. What problems will I run into other than inspection (I'm a TX smog-free inspector :D). Will I notice a big loss in low end torque? Maybe that would be good for me anyway and I could take off at the track without getting so much wheelspin!?! Shoot me some feedback! Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have been told (don't know for sure) you will notice an odor, something like rotten eggs, when the cats have bite the dust.
I have also been told you should replace the cats every 60-80K along with the O2 sensors. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Your gas mileage might drop, along with some performance, since the computer will be getting some odd readings.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I probably have cats going. After driving car for 5 min and parking and going under it I can feel the ground with my back, it's hot.

Can anyone give me URL for some sounds of 281 with no cats and 1 foot glasspacks? Will the sound level be legal if I have gutted cats and glasspacks?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can run it up to redline easy. I don't know, it was just a thought. I've been considering cutting them out and installing pipe, but havent gathered enough information yet. Thanks!
-Rob

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you notice more smoke with them cut out? I thought I read something about that somewhere lately.
-Rob

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Rob said:
Do you notice more smoke with them cut out? I thought I read something about that somewhere lately.
-Rob
I didn't in my bird. Had it like that for probably 25k miles and all was well.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Rob said:
-Rob
if you notice smoke, then the lack of cats is just allowing you to see a problem your car already had. but if you're just burning a little oil and wouldnt do anything about it, it would be nice for people not to see that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts