TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

i know we all have it, we shift from park into reverse or drive and hear the tranny clunk.. i am also one of the lucky peeps to have something clunk when i first take off for the day..

yesterday, however was unique. it clunked not once, but 3 times......... i gunned it a bit around the corner cuz i felt like it and when it shifted into second.. i heard a clunk... it did it again about 10min later, i was crossing the main road, has a little 25-30deg hill, then goes down at about 35deg into a turn.. as i just cleared the top it went into second and clunked again.

i keep pushing the date to do the jmod and get me irs bushings put on and new u-joints, cuz i may be getting $2500-3500, and that would mean... FRPP rear and MMX driveshaft.. so it would be like.. fully refreshed driveline..

Is it the u-joints clunking or something internal in the tranny? btw, i am firmly convinced at least 1 of the 1-2 springs are broken.. it doesn't shift superfirm (no kit), but it will go a lot quicker than say, the 3-4...

JD

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
MY clunk is u-joints... I'd always heard a little clunk on hard shifts, then I rode in the back seat while someone else drove it... BIG clunk! New u-joint time for me, guess it'll get done over Christmas break...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Might be your torque converter unlocking/locking.

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on the 1-2 shift?? then again, i usually do feel the clunk somewhere under the floorboard area... but i can usually feel a small bump i run over w/ the back tire....

·
Registered
850 Posts
jamesD said:
Hey guys

i know we all have it, we shift from park into reverse or drive and hear the tranny clunk.. i am also one of the lucky peeps to have something clunk when i first take off for the day..

yesterday, however was unique. it clunked not once, but 3 times......... i gunned it a bit around the corner cuz i felt like it and when it shifted into second.. i heard a clunk... it did it again about 10min later, i was crossing the main road, has a little 25-30deg hill, then goes down at about 35deg into a turn.. as i just cleared the top it went into second and clunked again.

i keep pushing the date to do the jmod and get me irs bushings put on and new u-joints, cuz i may be getting $2500-3500, and that would mean... FRPP rear and MMX driveshaft.. so it would be like.. fully refreshed driveline..

Is it the u-joints clunking or something internal in the tranny? btw, i am firmly convinced at least 1 of the 1-2 springs are broken.. it doesn't shift superfirm (no kit), but it will go a lot quicker than say, the 3-4...

------------------------
I have the EXACT problem, but it's most noticeable on the first 3-4 shift of the day(sometimes 2-3 too), and when it's cold. As I am having the clunk when shifting from P to R or D, and have a drive line vibe, I'm pretty sure that it's my worn out IRS bushings(they are flaking and have vertical play, already had them inspected) AND the u-joints.

Does your also clunk when leting off the gas(with lerch), and again when stepping on the gas, with a little delay in acceleration+clunk? mine does that and most people think it's a sign that it's the u-joints.

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know sometimes if i let off the gas after doin like 60, slow down to around 40-50mph, then pop the gas real quick, i guess the sudden amount of torque or whatever will make something clunk/shudder/pull real hard.. it hasn't clunked on the 3-4shift... that's a band anyway no?? my irs bushings aren't new, but there is no play, same w/ the tranny mount. i will swap them out when i do the "mod"

JD

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Check your TC/Flex Plate bolts...

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LMAO

those bolts were fine at the time.. heh

lots of cars do it.. damn lockup schedule

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Im having the same problem...

is this something to worry about, cuz I've been trying to track it down after I stalled my track-loc rear end....

its coming from the tranny... the ujoints are new... IRS bushings are brand new....

got me worried cuz it doesnt sound healthy.

MG

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check your suspension.. turns out, one of the clunks was the fact my rear sway bar end link bushings were not there anymore.. heh.. metal clunking metal

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
MadGoat said:
Im having the same problem...

is this something to worry about, cuz I've been trying to track it down after I stalled my track-loc rear end....

its coming from the tranny... the ujoints are new... IRS bushings are brand new....

got me worried cuz it doesnt sound healthy.

MG
I get the occasional clunk when putting the car into reverse or drive and I also get a clunk while cruising like James mentioned in the 6th post in this thread. I was thinking it had to do with my TC and/or the TC lockup schedule, but Kentwood suggested checking the tailshaft bushing in this thread that I started on the subject. I havent gotten around to checking it out though.

I was origionally thinking it was a u-joint problem, but I changed them and the problem remains. It feels like some thing is loose in the drive line, I've gone over every bushing I can see and get to without taking the car apart and I dont see a problem anywhere. That leads me to believe the problem is within the trans or rear end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts