TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went through and replaced a lot of the bushings in the front of the car. Ever since then, I get a small "clunk" when I go over bumps. It only happens when I'm driving on a really bumpy road or hit a pothole or something like that. If I'm on a relatively smooth highway, I hear nothing. It almost sounds like its at the upper shock mounts but they're tight. I've also been under the car and double checked and re-tightened everything but found nothing obvious or unusual. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Does it kinda sound like a pop-can being crushed when you go over railroad tracks?

-Joel

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lower ball joints are new. So are the upper ones. No, it doesn't sound like a pop can. It just makes a clunk. It sound like the upper shock mounts are loose but they're not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar clunking noise that I couldn't pinpoint. I'd replaced the upper control arms, but some of those nuts inside the engine compartment were a pain to reach, and I must not have torqued them tight enough the first time. I put a wrench on the nuts and used my torque wrench on the bolt head and was surprised by how loose they were. The second time I must have gotten it right, because that took care of the noise and it hasn't come back in a year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll double check the upper control arm bolts. Thats one that I forgot to check again. Upper and lower control arms are all new. Sway bar links are new too. The only thing I didn't replace was the plate at the top of the spring/shock assembly. Could this be my problem?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to thank Black94SC for the good call on the upper control arm mounts. I just ran them down w/ an air ratchet and that apparently wasn't good enough because they were loose. Tightened them up with a wrench and shes quiet as can be.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same issue on my 94 after the uppers were replaced. It went back to the shop twice for the noise, and they couldn't find it. I went in there with a wrench and a ratchet, and got about 1/4 of a turn out of the left side nuts. Since then, no noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts