TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I did a search but to no avail. Today after a 2 hour drive on the highway my bird now has a mean clunking or grinding when i turn left or right. When in a staright line it's fine. It's pretty loud as well. Anyways, I want to diagnose the problem so I can attempt to fix it if it's something simple to save some cash. Let me know what you guys think, thanks...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did just have my rear end rebuilt before I bought the car, the sound is coming from the front end though, tie rods maybe? Any ideas...

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Clunking could be balljoints or tierods. If it's grinding, I would suspect a wheel bearing, or something loose in the brakes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the wheel bearing recently replaced. I don't know if this helps but it makes the sound worse when turning the wheel while stopped. I'm going to assume bushings or tie rods, this morning it doesnt seems to be doing it.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
My car's also making a clunking from the front end, only when I turn. I had a volvo that did this a while ago too, and it was ball joints, so I suspect that's what's wrong with our cars. Still haven't gotten a chance to have it looked at though so I'm not 100% positive. Anybody know what happens if your ball joints go completely? I need'a know if this needs to be fixed, or can break and THEN be fixed. Results if ball joints compltely go out? info please would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If a balljoint breaks completely? Catastophy if you are going any faster than maybe 5 mph. If you have bad balljoints, get them replaced IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!! You are a hazard to yourself and others with bad balljoint.

Here's a little more reading for you on the subject:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28324

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
if it is grinding or squealing when turning the steering wheel while it's sitting, try bouncing the front end on either side, if it grinds or squeals, then your balljoints are toast, if it is really loud then it's prolly the lower balljoint, if it's not too loud then check your upper control arm/balljoint assembly, if the boot is broken on either one of them, then replace them as whole assemblies, cheaper and easier that way, get them at o'reilly's, the upper control arms need to be replaced as an assembly, they are NOT serviceable, the lowers are replaceable, but it is easier to just replace them as an entire assembly,

the clunking sound is prolly the strut rod bushing, i should know, both things have gone bad on mine before, the clunking happens on mine when reversing out of a parking space most of the time, still don't know how hard it'll be to replace them, but will find out in early october, lol, the upper balljoints/control arms have been replaced along with one of the lowers, strut rod bushing and tie rod ends are next on the list for me, lol , hth....later'z....:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot guys, it turned out to be the lower ball joints are dried out. The shop wanted 450 CDN just for labour! How hard is it to change the lower ball joints in the driveway? My oncle was helping me out with it yesterday and he's going to inject some grease into them, hopefully this will help the problem.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If they've been dry for a while, then grease isn't going to help them now. The lowers are kind of a PITA to replace, but aren't that hard. Just remember that the lowers are where your alignment cams are at, so mark them with a paint marker in relation to where they are now, and get a front end alignment as soon as you get them put in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would it be an easier install if I bought the lower control arm assembly with the ball joint already in?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
yes, much easier, and better because you will also get the bushings and everything else new by just switching the lower control arm......:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts