TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 LX V8 (not that it really matters for this) :)

My right rear is clunking like crazy when driving and I'm at a loss...

So far I removed the sway bar end link, no change, raised the rear end and try to wobble the wheel, no discernible play, tried prying on the knuckle to control arm bushings, couldn't find play. Can anybody give some advice on what I should be looking for? I did try searching but it seems the most likely culprit (end link) is not the problem.

TIA
Damon

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
My clunking happened when stopping , it was that my differential pinion was loose.

To rule this out unbolt the driveshaft and move it forward with your hands, then see if the pinion is loose
by seeing how much play it has.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
Shocks or spring [perches]?

When does the clunk happen? Over bumps, starting, stopping, in turns...?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Check your diff to body mounts. Mine went south and caused a clunk every time I put it into drive or reverse. I thought my diff was giving up the ghost, but it was just dry rotted front diff bushings.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Another vote for diff mount bushings. They made a hell of a racket on one SC I had every time I shifted. If it is that, it is a cheap and quick fix too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shocks or spring [perches]?

When does the clunk happen? Over bumps, starting, stopping, in turns...?
The clunk was constant just driving down the road, any bump, pebble, etc. It turned out to be the lower shock mount not being torqued, it wasn't loose by any means, but a tightening it a little mad the noise disappear.

Again, thanks for the help everybody.

Damon

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
looking for rear body mounts for my 97 bird:)
Wrong thread.

Can you be more specific about what you're looking for and why?

Are you talking about the IRS to body mounts? Rear Diff to IRS? or what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts