TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been chasing this bastard clunk for a few months with no solution... it's only getting worse. I have checked and re-checked everything (I think) possible to figure out this damn front left clunk. I read through a lot of threads regarding it and tried all the usual culprits. That includes all ball joints, UCA, the frame bolts with E18 bit torqued to 100lbs, strut rod to frame bushing, and strut rod to LCA bushing.

Damn clunk is still there and now its getting worse. It originally started with a clunk on the front driver's side when turning the wheel all the way left or right, like when pulling into the driveway or turning at a stop sign. The progression has now begun to make noise when driving straight over every little bump. Little tip-taps. I can mainly feel it directly under my feet. I recently had it in the shop for some body work and paint (pictures soon to come) and my body guy couldn't figure it out. He took it to his main mechanic and alas, neither could he. I have replaced the UCA, strut rod bushing **used moog which I regret but its tight as a crabs ass and looks perfect to me** and greased every other fitting and ball joint. No noticeable play in anything. Re-did rotors and pads not too long ago.

I'm at a loss on this one, especially if a mechanic couldn't figure it out. Any more ideas out there as to what can be causing this. I'd really hate to have something fail on the highway and my good looking baby gets wrapped around a tree.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
+1 on the swaybar endlinks. Though that normally is just a rattle at low speeds.

Does the car pull to one side when braking? If so, that is the LCA. Did you check or replace the LCA's?

I have never had any luck checking for bad suspension parts, hard getting them to move around. I either just do a visual, or just replace it.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,654 Posts
Another vote for the end links. When the car is up in the air, there is some tension on the links, so if you push and pull on them, you won't feel the play, but if you pry up and down on one side of the sway bar, you will see it move, and they make a hellacious noise when they go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok team, end links it is. Ill also do the stabilizer bar frame bushings while I'm in there for the hell of it. I know the bottom of it is held in by 2 bolts. Just undo the nuts, lift, and slide them off once the links are off? I'll beat the links with a hammer to pull them. Then I'll just do it in reverse and put it back together. Any suggestions on part #'s to throw in there? I'll soak it all down in some blaster for a day or 2 before I get the tools out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found a list for the link, but then I saw this regarding the frame bushing:

Sway Bar Frame Bushing/Kit
w/1-3/32" Bar K8756
w/1-1/8" Bar K8757
w/1-1/16" Bar K8752

Which one applies to me?

·
Super Moderator
5,117 Posts
found a list for the link, but then I saw this regarding the frame bushing:

Sway Bar Frame Bushing/Kit
w/1-3/32" Bar K8756
w/1-1/8" Bar K8757
w/1-1/16" Bar K8752

Which one applies to me?
Dunno.

Go outside and measure it.

Lazy person's way: Take some twine, wrap once around the bar, snug it tight, and mark where the two sides overlap.

Take the twine in, measure between the marks, divide by 3.14 and the closest smaller number is the right size.

RwP

·
Registered
440 Posts
K8756 is supposed to fit both 1 3/32 and 1 1/16 bar. I bought that, however didn't bother to check the swaybar. I will either tomorrow or Sunday.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Why bother with rubber bushings since energy suspension poly ones are nearly the same price +/- a few bucks.
By your other thread, you want to build the "best street suspension pkg", right?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'd suspect a poly bushing will provide a firmer ride... Put some on my old Riviera... made it tighter, but more jounce....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took me a minute on this one...... turned out the steering rack had seen its day. I had it lifted and my god there was a lot of play in it. Popped a new one in and some tie rods and all is good.

I spent a bit more than I wanted to , but in the end I have new end links, sway bar frame bushings, tight frame bolts, greased up fittings, rack and pinion, and a dead on alignment. Car runs like a dream and just before its 100k bday, I'll do a trans flush and new gaskets and filter.

As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Took me a minute on this one...... turned out the steering rack had seen its day. I had it lifted and my god there was a lot of play in it. Popped a new one in and some tie rods and all is good.

I spent a bit more than I wanted to , but in the end I have new end links, sway bar frame bushings, tight frame bolts, greased up fittings, rack and pinion, and a dead on alignment. Car runs like a dream and just before its 100k bday, I'll do a trans flush and new gaskets and filter.

As always, thanks for the help.
If the existing gasket is OEM, you are supposed to reuse it. The rubber ones leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts