TCCoA Forums banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
... and there will be VERY noticeable difference over stock.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey thanks Matt and Ron ! I'm planning to do some suspension upgrade next Spring and will be gathering parts this winter like springs , shocks , sway bars ect. I just replaced everything in the front suspension/ steering and wanted to upgrade the handling just a bit and while Im in there upgrade to PBR calipers. I was thinking Vogtland springs maybe 1.6 but not sure if I want to go that low and I have a line on some 92 SC bars I know 89's are the best but these are local and inexpensive.

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I think you'd be happy with either the .75" or 1.6" drop Vogtland springs.

Initally I ordered the .75" springs for my car but after an excruciatingly long wait for their arrival I found that what I received was not the .75" Vogtland springs but the 1.6" drop springs. I said to myself "... the hell with it." and put them on the car.

IMHO the Vogtland springs are by far the best springs for these cars. I'm just thankful that in the very limited supply of aftermarket parts for these cars that these springs are available.

You should drive to Fayetteville with the rest of the Va. Beach guys, road test your new suspension and come hang out with us at the after Thanksgiving meet. Hint, hint. ;)

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
The Cobra shocks make a big difference. I just wish Bilstein made just as good shocks for the front. My Tociko's feel like mush compared to the Bilsteins.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,849 Posts
I must be the only one on this site that likes the 'Blues" They work great on my bird , No floating and they ride nice, and no teeth jarring tough ride.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The Blues work for me. They have been on for nearly 10 yrs. I found the springs make more of a difference, first had LX springs, then SC springs, now Vogtland 1" drop. Each spring change made it stiffer. It borders on teeth jarring now. I also have all the JL (RIP) bracing, 1 1/4 inch Addco F/R bars.

It doesn't like pot holes.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I've got a set of Bilstein's on the back of my LSC and it turned it into a totally different car.

Of course, the set I put on were so stiff, I had a hard time compressing the shock to get the bottom bolt in! Car rides so nice and sporty now, not the floaty "land yacht" feeling it had prior!

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,490 Posts
I must be the only one on this site that likes the 'Blues" They work great on my bird , No floating and they ride nice, and no teeth jarring tough ride.
They're very spring dependent. With Eibachs they're good since Eibachs have the lowest progressive rates of most of the aftermarket springs available, they're also a good match for the stock(as in uncut) sport springs. Higher rate springs like Vogtlants or frankly even Tokico's linear HP lowering springs can overpower them though and lead to a bouncy ride.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think you'd be happy with either the .75" or 1.6" drop Vogtland springs.

Initally I ordered the .75" springs for my car but after an excruciatingly long wait for their arrival I found that what I received was not the .75" Vogtland springs but the 1.6" drop springs. I said to myself "... the hell with it." and put them on the car.

IMHO the Vogtland springs are by far the best springs for these cars. I'm just thankful that in the very limited supply of aftermarket parts for these cars that these springs are available.

You should drive to Fayetteville with the rest of the Va. Beach guys, road test your new suspension and come hang out with us at the after Thanksgiving meet. Hint, hint. ;)
It will be Spring time (no pun intended) when i do the install.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
so we can use any rear shocks made for the 99-cobras? Aftermarket shocks included?

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Guys, Koni's that fit the IRS Cobras are $170 on Summit...

Koni Sport Shocks and Struts 8041-1270SPT

Anyone tried these?

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
Guys, Koni's that fit the IRS Cobras are $170 on Summit...

Koni Sport Shocks and Struts 8041-1270SPT

Anyone tried these?
I would imagine that they would fit just fine. They are definitely pricey. The bigger problem is that there just isn't something that would compliment them for the front.

·
Is something burning?..
713 Posts
I have the SC springs. Would it still be a worthy investment?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,490 Posts
The bigger problem is that there just isn't something that would compliment them for the front.
This. And honestly what's available for the back is pretty damn good, there's not much point looking for alternatives. The front is what needs more experimentation, Tokicos are too soft up front, their only appeal is that they're the best thing next to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
This. And honestly what's available for the back is pretty damn good, there's not much point looking for alternatives. The front is what needs more experimentation, Tokicos are too soft up front, their only appeal is that they're the best thing next to nothing.
I wonder if the Tokicos could be revalved or something?

·
Registered
817 Posts
It looks like here at Advance Auto we can now order KYB rear shocks for the Cobra's both in heavy duty and gas adjust. $83 for the gas adjust and $53 for the heavy duty. I looked up an 03 Cobra and it brought up the Bilstiens and the KYB options. The Bilstiens were $113 a piece! What are your thoughts on the heavy duty KYB's being as stiff as the Bilstiens being that the computer brought up those options?

101 - 120 of 148 Posts