TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1997 4.6L LX. Black with grey interior. Mustang hub swap and cobra brakes coming...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have completed the Cobra hub/brake swap and am very pleased so far. Issue I am currently having is, at low speeds the ABS is activating when coming to a stop. Higher speeds, harder stops it does nothing. But when coming to a slow stop, right before the car comes to a complete stop, the ABS releases the caliper. Any easy fix to this or just unplug the ABS system?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,171 Posts
Double check the recluctor wheels on the hubs and the magnetic pickups for any debris that might be throwing off the wheel speed sensors.

·
Registered
1997 4.6L LX. Black with grey interior. Mustang hub swap and cobra brakes coming...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@theterminator93. The hubs are brand new. Any debris I have is only on the sensors. I ordered new ones, so I am starting there. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
There is a way to self test the abs, search around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You ordered new abs sensors? Where did you find them? They've been obsolete for awhile now.
I found the similar part no. On rock auto and ordered them. Dorman 917-612. Hope they work. Fitment says front wheels.

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
id this problem start with the new parts? try unplugging them and see if the prob goes away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
id this problem start with the new parts? try unplugging them and see if the prob goes away.
No this problem did not happen prior to the hub swap. Trying to find parts that will work before I just pull the fuse. The cruise control not working is a bit annoying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Cruise control isn't related to ABS operation, it uses the transmission speed sensor for input, not the ABS wheel sensors.
Research I have done would contradict that. But I haven't touched the transmission speed sensors. I did mess with the front abs sensors a bit. Cruise control worked prior to the hub work. If an ABS sensor is faulty, would that allow the cruise control to not activate? This is the issue I am dealing with.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
Research I have done would contradict that. But I haven't touched the transmission speed sensors. I did mess with the front abs sensors a bit. Cruise control worked prior to the hub work. If an ABS sensor is faulty, would that allow the cruise control to not activate? This is the issue I am dealing with.
Well those contradictions are incorrect, cruise feeds off the transmission VSS circuit, ABS is a totally separate subsystem on these cars, it had to be since cruise and ABS weren’t standard options. It’s a coincidence they’re not working together unless something that is shared, like the brake light switch, is faulty

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
ABS isn't connected to cruise in any way. Cruise is isolated from the PCM as is ABS.

The closest thing linking the two are the brake light switch and travel switch at the top of the brake pedal. It's relatively easy to accidentally lift up on the brake pedal and damage the travel switch which will disable cruise (with the switch constantly open it thinks your foot is on the brake and won't activate).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ABS isn't connected to cruise in any way. Cruise is isolated from the PCM as is ABS.

The closest thing linking the two are the brake light switch and travel switch at the top of the brake pedal. It's relatively easy to accidentally lift up on the brake pedal and damage the travel switch which will disable cruise (with the switch constantly open it thinks your foot is on the brake and won't activate).
So, I guess I should send the sensors I bought back? I looked at the switch on the brake pedal, is there anything out of the ordinary I should be looking for? Do you have a link to a part so I can replace it?

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
I'd start by checking the brake pedal travel switch which is the one that looks like a plunger near the top of the brake pedal. There's a contact at the end that is normally closed when the plunger is fully extended, unless there's sufficient pedal travel and the plunger is pushed in a bit. It's easy to take it off and open it up to examine it and "fix" it by moving the contacts further up the plunger. At least, that's what I had to do.

Couple old threads on that subject...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem when I installed new axles on my Crown Vic, the reluctor wheels had different spacing than the originals. It seems that the problem only showed up as the car coming to a stop.
I would recommend comparing the originals to the Cobra swapped parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had this same problem when I installed new axles on my Crown Vic, the reluctor wheels had different spacing than the originals. It seems that the problem only showed up as the car coming to a stop.
I would recommend comparing the originals to the Cobra swapped parts.
Didn't think about that. But comparing parts is out as they went to the trash as soon as they were pulled from the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update...all is fixed. The drivers front ABS sensor was missing the retaining bolt causing the sensor to hang at an odd angle. New bolt, test drive, all is good. As for the cruise control, installed incandescent bulbs in the rear turn signals and we are good. Front turn signals are still LED. Why do the rear turn signals mess with the cruise?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
Quick update...all is fixed. The drivers front ABS sensor was missing the retaining bolt causing the sensor to hang at an odd angle. New bolt, test drive, all is good. As for the cruise control, installed incandescent bulbs in the rear turn signals and we are good. Front turn signals are still LED. Why do the rear turn signals mess with the cruise?
I was thinking about asking if you installed LEDs, I don't know what the logic is to that "feature", it might be a byproduct of the circuit design

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Probably a minimum current is required for the electronics to detect when the BOO is tripped?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts