TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok this didnt sell on ebay, so I still have it. if your interested let me know. im putting it up for sale on a few messageboards.

$200 plus shipping or pickup in Plainfield il (Joliet il) or can deliver to nmca Michigan or stlouis races.

you can contact me here... [email protected]

[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you might wanna double check that info.....all cobra cranks are 8-bolt (even though the converse is not always true), and there is a forging-line of sorts (not sure what it would be called) that is about 1/4" wide that does all the way down the crank...that one seems to be around 1/8" like the cast cranks....and of course, it is missing the two center counter-weights for what is supposed to be 8 counterweights, not six

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, ill pull the auction on monday when i get back in to work. i also thought all cobras had 8 bolts too. but i was told, this came out of this cobra they just built. who knows what they did to it before we got it.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, what it appears is they gave me the wrong crank and i didnt pay attention to it when I took the pictures. So the pictures showed a cast gt crank. Iv got the cobra crank in the laythe polishing it now. Will take pics of it and make the changes in the ebay ad in just a few minutes. The description is still accurate.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we just wanna get rid of some of this stuff. ive got about 50 cranks sitting in the back. at least 2 dozen sets of pistons and about the same amount of heads. they arnt all modular, everything gm ford chrysler. need cams? ive got everything but 4.6 cams.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got any 348-409 stuff :D
what exactly are you looking for? i can look. there so much crap in the back it might take a few days to get back to you but shoot me a pm with what your looking for.

Keith
PER-Race-Engines.com

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok this didnt sell on ebay, so I still have it. if your interested let me know. im putting it up for sale on a few messageboards.

$200 plus shipping or pickup in Plainfield il (Joliet il) or can deliver to nmca Michigan or stlouis races.

large pics are in the first post.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
you might wanna double check that info.....all cobra cranks are 8-bolt (even though the converse is not always true), and there is a forging-line of sorts (not sure what it would be called) that is about 1/4" wide that does all the way down the crank...that one seems to be around 1/8" like the cast cranks....and of course, it is missing the two center counter-weights for what is supposed to be 8 counterweights, not six
GM, I believe the cast crank has the wide forging line and the forged crank has the thin line.

Therefore, the cast crank has the wider 1/4" line, the forged Cobra has the 1/8".

The forged cranks also have center counter weights while the cast cranks do not. Here is a picture of forged on the left vs a cast on the right:

Forged On Left, Cast On Right

Based on the OP's pics, his looks forged...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GM, I believe the cast crank has the wide forging line and the forged crank has the thin line.

Therefore, the cast crank has the wider 1/4" line, the forged Cobra has the 1/8".

The forged cranks also have center counter weights while the cast cranks do not. Here is a picture of forged on the left vs a cast on the right:

Forged On Left, Cast On Right

Based on the OP's pics, his looks forged...
we had an issue with the pics on ebay at first. thing were corrected after GM's post.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
we had an issue with the pics on ebay at first. thing were corrected after GM's post.
Oh, figures. I'm usually a day late and a dollar short..... lol

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Vic cleared it up and updated the thread....GM's first reply and mine no longer apply.

GM, I believe the cast crank has the wide forging line and the forged crank has the thin line.....Therefore, the cast crank has the wider 1/4" line, the forged Cobra has the 1/8".
You must be thinking the reverse. Pic 5 clearly shows the forging lines on the throws:
A cast crank will have the thin lines....because it's actually casting flash.

Another neat ID trick if the crank is out by itself: hang it up by wire through one of the flexplate/flywheel bolt holes and lightly tap it with a hammer. A forged crank will ring out like a bell. The cast crank goes "clunk".

Free bump for Vic, and some info.

/messing up someone's FS thread. :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Ringing

I have noticed the ring trick, not on 4.6 cranks, but chevy SB cranks...

Good observation, 94 Bird!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts