TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is kinda out of place...and i know there is no street racing but this came up between my friends today...

one has a 95 convertible cobra...you know...5.0L stock...just new paint job...
my other buddy has a 91 LX with a 5.0 with the a 5 speed...with a few mods...hurst short throw, bbk shorty headers., flowmasters with h pipe, trick flow upper and lower, msd ignition, 3.55 rear end, pulleys...and i think thats about it...very nice car...mint condition, both i have to say...they look brand new and run very strong too.

the argument starts here. guy with the cobra says his 5.0 is different than the LX. the LX has a HO thrown on it since it was a 4 banger back in the day. cobra guy says that it also is a lot faster than the LX and he is willing to take it to the track. can someone tell me the 5.0 differences on this case, and who might be quicker...saying they both are good shifters....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think the Cobra had a different intake manifold and maybe heads, but I'm not sure about the heads. I think the one with more mods will win because the cars are very similar to begin with.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
That cobra won't know what hit him if he lines up against the LX.

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
smokymance said:
well this is kinda out of place...and i know there is no street racing but this came up between my friends today...

one has a 95 convertible cobra...you know...5.0L stock...just new paint job.......
Uhhhhh, didn't the 5.0 stop in 93? I thought all the mustangs 94 to present, with the exception of the 00 Cobra R all used a 4.6?

·
Registered
83 Posts
No, the Mustang had a 5.0 until '95. I've heard that the '94 and '95 5.0 was rather weak compared to the late Fox's.
The 4.6 was introduced in '96, and the PI 4.6 was introduced in '99.

-Nate B

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Tbird/Cougar got the 4.6 in 94, Mustangs were 5.0 until 95, 96 was the first year of the 4.6 in a mustang

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Nate, you beat me to it!

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I had an 88 5.0 LX Auto, a 93 5.0 LX Convertible Auto, and a 94 Cobra. The 88 would have taken either one. The first Cobra's weren't anything special. I think they were rated at 240 HP where the GT was 225 or so. But I liked my Cobra the most. It sounded the best and looked the best. ( Except for my 4 Birds of course)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nate Bush said:
No, the Mustang had a 5.0 until '95. I've heard that the '94 and '95 5.0 was rather weak compared to the late Fox's.
The 4.6 was introduced in '96, and the PI 4.6 was introduced in '99.

-Nate B

actually, they are weaker... in '93, ford stopped using forged internals on the 5.0. -greg

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Mark McCormack said:
The 91 will eat him alive.
I'm with him on this one

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
being that the lx was a 4 banger it will be a whole lot lighter and has quite a few things done to it, it will take out the cobra easily

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Now you need to go get them to race to prove us all right.:D

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will keep posted...if this thread is not here anymore...i will for sure bring it back or open a new one...

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
No contest.... The '91. The '94 Cobra is heavy. The intake, injectors, maf, and computer are different from stock, but it's not that much faster. The '91 is lighter, has more mods, and it will whoop up on a '94 Cobra.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think '95 Cobras ran 14.9 in the 1/4 stock. The LX should be in the low 14's.

The LX will walk him in the race and look better at the same time.

**edit** The SN95 cobra weighs 3400-3500 pounds, Foxbody LX weighs around 3100 pounds.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Also, please note that the '95 Cobra is a convertible, which will add a weight penalty to it. I thought I remembered that from '93 to '94, the Mustang chassis gained weight due to structural improvements.

There might be a chance that the computer tuning on the Cobra is different than say a Mustang GT of the same vintage.

I'd have to give the advantage to the '91 LX. But since both are 5 speeds, driver skill will play an important factor.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
that will for sure...i want these kids to get on this....anyhow here is the mustang LX...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/python467

thats before Trick Flow upper and lower intake, msd ignition wires and distributor, shocks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts