TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just would like to know that are the 2002-06 explorer/ Mountaineer rear hubs the same as the cobra IRS rear hubs?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Nope, entirely different rear suspension

·
Registered
663 Posts
My mom has a later explorer(01-02?). Shall I go pull things apart and see what we've got when she gets home? I think I will. Check back here around 10-11 pm.

Lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah its a 2002 but its not coming home today, I guess tomorrow night. Sorry guys, we'll get this figured out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok... :rolleyes: mom is visiting friends over by Sparta, WI and won't be back untill tomorrow... As soon as I want to look at something she takes it and runs off lol

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I doubt that they are interchangeable. The Explorer bearing part number is unique to those vehicles, not the same as the T-Bird / Cobra bearing number (which is actually an old Taurus part).

Actually, I just took one of each off the shelf here at the dealership and compared them side by side. The outer diameter of the Explorer hub, where the rotor would fit over, is much larger. So I'm going to go with a solid NO on this one.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if you chuck it on a lathe and cut down the outer diameter would it fit then?
I am a machinest and have a lathe.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I didn't compare all of the other dimensions, as I don't have accurate enough measuring devices here to make that assessment. Why not just buy the proper hubs and save yourself the hassle? I do have the Cobra hubs for sale from up here for a pretty reasonable price.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=110308

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I've never understood why people want to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, and modify the hell out of things to make them work, when it is un-necessary, because there are already parts out there that will work just fine.

It's like a friend of mine who keeps telling me to pull my IRS and swap in an IRS out of a cobra...you know, "because it would be unique" sure, unique, although pointless.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah, sorry guys
As soon as I got up this morning she left for work...
We both have next friday off, I tear it down then.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I have always said: Either brains or money, it seems you have money! The explorer hub is about $35 on ebay while a cobra hub is up to $150 duh! Can you understand this, its a $100 bucks less. Reinventing the wheel huh, tell that to Jack Roush. Our society today is built on reinvention. You must have been absent that day in high school.
A lesson in Words of Wisdom: You are either thinking or stinking; you choose who you are.
Why do anything on your own when you can have someone tell you what to do
It is never to late to get that GED

·
Registered
704 Posts
damn lexx if it's only 35.00 go BUY ONE and install it and then run back here and tell us how that worked for you.

Chances are you already GOT good info from a source you probably shouldn't be taking "GED" pot shots at his education.

The man PICKED UP, as in walked over and PUT HIS HAND on the damned part your talking about... you might consider taking your foot off his testicle and saying THANKS FOR THE INFO.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why do anything on your own when you can have someone tell you what to do
quoted for posterity and therein lies the problem....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, sorry guys
As soon as I got up this morning she left for work...
We both have next friday off, I tear it down then.
man when she got here, I was gonna rip into her rear hub.. but I guess she saw "that look" in my eyes and she "high tailed it back home".

sorry, I tried

1 - 20 of 27 Posts