TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I swapped a Cobra intake into my '92 T-bird somewhere around June or July. Anyway, I'm finally getting around to posting some of the pics, maybe I'll get off my butt later and actually put together a write up like I said I would. Anyway, here we go.

First things first (other than removing the old manifold), I had to take care of the throttle/tranny/cruise linkage issue. As the mustang linkage isnt compatible with the MN12 setup. So, it was time to do some grinding

Under that pretty pink-checked cloth is a 65mm BBK throttle body. There are 70mm units made to fit the SC t-birds, and those will also fit the 5.0L. However I opted for adapting the 65mm unit because it has been billed as the optimal size for a mostly stock 5.0L (at least one thats in a heavy car.... like mine).

After some grinding heres what I had:

Thats the 65mm unit, the linkage from my old TB, and the return spring.

The shape is the same, but things dont fit perfectly.

With some patience and a few minutes with a hand file, everything fit just dandy. Now, before you rush off and weld that sucker on, make sure you remeber to put the return spring on first.... otherwise you end up having to grind it back off and put it on anyway.

Since my lower manifold isnt equipped with an ACT bung, I had to relocate it to my airbox. Since my car is NA, it wont make any difference. So I cut the harness and extended the wires.

Then I found a suitable location on the airbox where the sensor wouldnt be in the way, and drilled a hole. I'm afraid I dont know the size hole I drilled, but I recomend drilling it small and then reaming out the hole until you can force the sensor through, the threads will hold it in place.

Then it was just a matter of routing wires.

I wont go into any detail on the actuall install as it is fairly straightforward. However I do suggest you keep a helper around. Especially when puting either manifold piece in place. That way on person can position the manifold, while the other makes sure that gaskets stay where they should, and any connections are made.

Heres a few side-by-sides of the Cobra manifold and the stocker:

Viva la difference

I was able to close the hood without cutting any reinforcement... barely. No visible bulge, but there was definetly resistance. I didnt get around to trimming the hood bracing until a week or so later, and there was a visible rub mark on the manifold. So I recomend taking the time to remove the bracing before you go out on any test runs :)

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, if you catch me on any inconsistencies or blatant mistruths, let me know so I can fix them.

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
Did the car get a little kick in the rear after putting that in?

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
NICE!!! post some more helpful hints and this could be a sticky for two things, intake manifold swap and how to modify a mustang tb.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
91HellCat said:
Did the car get a little kick in the rear after putting that in?
aye, a bit :) I put headers in a week or so later, and once the computer got used to them I was haulin' butt. I could really benefit from some lower gears (my off the line is still kinda weak) but since I do alot of highway driving I'm not so sure that'll happen.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
56k was okay.

Looks good, bout how long did it take.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
badbird95 said:
56k was okay.

Looks good, bout how long did it take.
glad it was fairly easy on the 56kers.... btw the original photos are gigantic if anyone wants a blown up copy of any of them.

If I were to do it again, and I had all my parts and tools there, I could get it done in a day (assuming I'm not stopping to take any pics :)). As it worked out I arrived at the shop in the evening and got busy modding the TB and removing the old manifold. The next day I did some parts hunting and got everything back together.

I think with 2 guys (who know what they're doing) working the whole time you could move through it pretty swiftly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mark M. TCCoA VP said:
Welcome to the Cobra club. Good job!

Mark

Yes. Welcome!:headbang: :headbang:

Mike Donley

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mike, I've been meaning to ask you, is that a custom STB? Or is it a KB piece?

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vlipke said:
makes me want to take pictures of mine installed in my Cougar...

except its at the body shop....... :D

on one condition... yours had better look worse than mine, so far everyone else's engine bay looks way better than mine :D

jk, get some pics up man :cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
looks just like the original engine bay for now, except the KNN filter, wich I am going to get rid of, and the intake, oh yea the headrs also...

Winter time the engine will be out of the car, gaskets being replaced (main seal leakes bad) and I will be ordering and putting in Thumper heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, and 65mm TB.

Now only if I could find somone to do tht darn 373's.....

Oh yea, your install pictures are good, mine is about the same install, except the hood had to be trimmed a little on mine...and supposubly my 95 Cobra intake has been ported by the previous owner. He had it in a Mustang that was supposably turning mid 12's...I'll see if I can find the link with his pictures...

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been eyeing the thumper heads, make sure you let us know how they install goes, and how they work out.

My upper has been extrude honed, but with stock heads and stock(cobra) lower intake, it probably does more harm than good right now:(

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
StupidFly said:

on one condition... yours had better look worse than mine, so far everyone else's engine bay looks way better than mine :D
jk, get some pics up man :cool:
Ahh you haven't seen my engine carpartment have yah?? :tongue:
Hmm I can't even REMEMBER when the last time i cleaned under there, along witht he heater hose that sprung a leak and sprayed nice sticky steam everywhere.... and leaves, road grim, ect, ect :)
Also the last time my car was washed in the last 1 1/2 months was when it rained the oher day :D

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
stupid fly , i want pics of where the interferance with the hood is.

·
Registered
395 Posts
by golly that is one beeautiful intake. mike i would have to say takes the cake. how much did all the modding cost ya? and yes a sticky or tech article would be freakin awesome. what kind of results are you seeing over the stock intake and throttle body?. sure would love to try that.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jk89cat said:
stupid fly , i want pics of where the interferance with the hood is.

10-4, as soon as I find my digital camera again, I'll go take some. Unless someone else has some handy they want to post.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts