TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
StupidFly said:
Hey Mike, I've been meaning to ask you, is that a custom STB? Or is it a KB piece?
It is a Kenny Brown.

Originally posted by zacharyzmn
by golly that is one beeautiful intake. mike i would have to say takes the cake. how much did all the modding cost ya? and yes a sticky or tech article would be freakin awesome. what kind of results are you seeing over the stock intake and throttle body?. sure would love to try that.
This is just an estimate but:

Engine: 2900.00
Cobra Intake: 490.00
Mustang Valve Covers: 20.00 on ebay
Polishing: Did it myself.
24 lb injectors: 220.00
JBA headers: 571.00
Pro-M MAF: 218.65
BBK TB: 258.00
SCT chip: 350.00

HP with stock motor and intake: 150
HP now: 196

Mike Donley

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok mines on finally. ill have pics in a day or so, i am having hood clearance issues, but i cant see where its hitting

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Just so you know, you can unbolt the throttle plate and slide the shaft and linkage out of it to put the return spring on.

-Thomas

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thomas said:
Just so you know, you can unbolt the throttle plate and slide the shaft and linkage out of it to put the return spring on.

-Thomas

nearly went that route, but all I was doing was rounding out the screwdriver slots. Wasnt budging.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
StupidFly said:

nearly went that route, but all I was doing was rounding out the screwdriver slots. Wasnt budging.
Ah yes, very common problem. Since I do that as a side job (halfshafting and porting tb's) I invested in a hand impact tool made by craftsman. You hammer it and it twists. Pretty nifty, and well worth the 30 bucks.
-Thomas

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thomas said:

Ah yes, very common problem. Since I do that as a side job (halfshafting and porting tb's) I invested in a hand impact tool made by craftsman. You hammer it and it twists. Pretty nifty, and well worth the 30 bucks.
-Thomas

ah, good to know. BTW, I've always wondered... what the heck is halfshafting anyway?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts

And now I also incorporate counter-sunk screws on the throttle plate to open up the pinch point even more. But thats the main idea. It's literally halving the shaft.
-Thomas

·
Registered
329 Posts
Taylor Spiro-Pro Wires, Jasper Performance 302 long block, polished 1994-1995 Cobra Intake,JBA Shorty Headers,Polished Aluminum Valve Covers, Chrome 75mm Granatelli Bullet MAF, 70mm BBK Throttle Body, MAC Chrome Cold Air Intake, Ford Motorsports Smog Pump Delete Pulley, Removed Air Intake Silencer, MSD Blaster coil, Edelbrock 304 Series SS mufflers, Griffin 3 row Aluminum Radiator, Lincoln Mk VIII Electric Fan, 130 Amp Alternator, Art Carr 1 piece Input Shaft, B&M 2400 Stall Non-lockup C-6 Convertor, Heavy Duty Forward Clutch, A-servo for Overdrive, Transgo Shift Kit, Transmission Oil Cooler, 2003 Cobra Aluminum Differential w/ 3.55 Gears, SCT custom chip. Best time: 15.88 @ 88.12 Best Dyno Pull: 194.45 RWHP/234.9 Max Torque
My CarDomain Pages

all this mods and you run a 15.........not trying to offend you but i was thinking of swapping my SC engine for a 5.0, but i dont think its such a good idea anymore.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
If you are going from a 3.8SC to a fairly simple 5.0 then it is definitely a waste of time. If you are going to go to a 5.0 base then go with a 331 or 347 stroker and build it to leave room for a supercharger and you can see unreal power. If you want to go carbed then consider a 392 or 427 (351W base) and customize it all you want.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
MaddMartigan said:
If you are going from a 3.8SC to a fairly simple 5.0 then it is definitely a waste of time. If you are going to go to a 5.0 base then go with a 331 or 347 stroker and build it to leave room for a supercharger and you can see unreal power. If you want to go carbed then consider a 392 or 427 (351W base) and customize it all you want.
I dont know that it's a waste of time, I believe it was xr7 dave who bought a project sc and converted it to 5.0 just for a new project.

I don't know why MIke is only running 15.88, maybe it's an old time, but a local guy ehre with 2" true dual straight pipe (done by previous owner) and cobra intakes ran a 15.8, so I'd say something is not right, or it could be the location/altitude/weather affecting it, who knows.
-Thomas

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
Well, if you are doing a stock for stock swap it is a waste of time. You lose performance because the stock 5.0 didn't come with as much power as the 3.8SC.

It is a good base though. If you are going to change the heads and build up the top end along with a decent bottom end then you can have something special. Keep the compression reasonable and supercharge it and you can have something special.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am sorry if I disappointed anyone, but I built the engine for car shows at first, not speed. i needed a new engine and wanted something with a little extra power, but until I met the guys in the Bama Mafia, I had no desire to race or go fast. I did not do anything to the heads or intake. Also that time was before I had the SCT chip, and also was the FIRST time I ever ran down a track. It was also mega-HOT that summer day here in Alabama and high humidity. I am planning on running the car again sometime this month or next. when it will be cooler. I also still have the factory exhaust piping around the gas tank, but I have the '92-up fuel tank to swap out so I can put true duals.

I found out a few months ago that my rear brakes were totally shot and had cocked in the drums. They were dragging really bad and this could have contributed to my slow times. I had to completely replace every component of the rear brakes.

Right now I don't have the money to buy go fast stuff like heads and gears, so I concentrate on looks. It goes fast enough for me right now.
Mike Donley

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
How does that fit under the stock hood?

·
Registered
321 Posts
drivex said:
How does that fit under the stock hood?
Who is your question directed at?

It fits under the hood if the insulation is removed and a chunk of the bracing is cut out.

Mike Donley

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Well i think if Best thing about the 5.0L ARE:

No crank sensor to fail
No Crank pulley bolt to break
No Blown Headgaskets
No Nose cone bearings to fail

:tongue:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
mike i need to do that on mine for hood clearance. which brace? the one on the left?

·
Registered
321 Posts
jk89cat said:
mike i need to do that on mine for hood clearance. which brace? the one on the left?

The reinforcement is sort of 2 levels Cut out the rearward part and leave the front part.

Mike Donley

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
thanks, thats what i needed . i hate to loose the hood blanket. but i could just cut it out around it. it looks like it was a pretty easy modification.

·
Registered
321 Posts
jk89cat said:
thanks, thats what i needed . i hate to loose the hood blanket. but i could just cut it out around it. it looks like it was a pretty easy modification.
I think you could re-install .

I gues you could reinstall it after cutting the
reinforcement without cutting the hood blanket

Mike

21 - 40 of 142 Posts