TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here at Advance auto if you look up an 03 cobra rear shocks it show the Bilstiens of course for $140 a piece but now we have an optional KYB heavy duty shock for that same car. Do you think since it pulls those shocks up along with the Bilstiens that they are as stiff as the Bilstiens. Could be a nice option since they are 83 a piece vs the 140 a piece ones.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
No, most likely not. KYBs are a service grade part, which means they are meant to function and keep the car on the road, not necessarily maintain optimum handling as the factory designed. That being said, having personally run the 03 Cobra Bilstein rear shocks, I think they are way too stiff for a daily driver anyway. I ran them on my MarkVIII for a few weeks and pulled them off to replace them with Tokico Blues, and put the Bilsteins on the lemons racer.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Yeah, I had the Cobra 'vert Bilstiens on my '92 for a while, and they while better than the old shocks I had, they were definitely not made for our cars.

When I swapped in Konis, I recall losing around a half inch of ride height without changing springs.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah youre most likely right. I have rear vert bilstiens on my new bird with half a coil cut off the bottom and its a nice firm ride which keeps the wheel well off my 275's. One of the studs on the one bilstien is a little stripped and wont let the nut tighten down all the way is why I was thinkin of replacing them. They are 40k mile take-offs.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I think the part number you are finding is for the solid rear axle stangs. A lot of places have them listed incorrectly. I ran into the same thing when I was looking for rear shocks. From my searching it seems KYB never made a shock for the IRS Cobra.

To make it more confusing if you compare the SRA and IRS rear mustang shocks they have the same dimensions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts