TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadian users. After a lot of searching I stumbled across JKMotorSports that has a listing for 5x108 17x9 Cobra R style wheels with a close to stock offset of 36mm as well. They seem to be actually made for these cars. If I have a stock height suspension and only slightly wider tires should I have to worry about spacers in the place of the stock Cougar 15x6.5 39mm offset wheels? Can anyone vouch for this site? Any input is appreciated.

- Niko K

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apologies the images won’t upload but here’s the link to the page.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,604 Posts
I can't speak for the site but that's the size/offset of my wheels and they fit fine. They do stick out a touch in the front but they are just wide enough to be more or less flush with the fender in back. I run 255/50R17 in rear and 255/45R17 in front. I am thinking about going to 285/40R17 in rear when the 255s wear out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't speak for the site but that's the size/offset of my wheels and they fit fine. They do stick out a touch in the front but they are just wide enough to be more or less flush with the fender in back. I run 255/50R17 in rear and 255/45R17 in front. I am thinking about going to 285/40R17 in rear when the 255s wear out.
Thank you for your input they look great on your Bird. Did you get yours online, was the service good?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,604 Posts
Thank you. Mine were made by Dante Designs about 20 years ago; I got mine secondhand through a member here. Now that you ask, the service was good. :)

Ahh, memories.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys so far the 5 spokes look great on our cars. The offset has me wondering if I could get one of the smaller offset wheels drilled to our pattern for the front for even better fitment as they’ll likely be special order anyways.
- Niko K

·
Registered
38 Posts
You'll have to get the tires overall diameter to match the height of your stock 15" tires. Also check the section width of the tire, those upper control arms are really tight up front. Here is a tire fitment guide...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll have to get the tires overall diameter to match the height of your stock 15" tires. Also check the section width of the tire, those upper control arms are really tight up front.
I’ll definitely take a good look at everything. Thank you very much so far.

- Niko K

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shows them on the site but do they actually have them in stock - that is the real question! Would love to hear if they do cause then I might place an order
I never got around to calling him though it does look like he has them it lets you put them in the cart. On his ad for the now discontinued terminator style rims the size chart is removed. I heard they’re backed up with long shipping times.

- Niko K

·
Registered
273 Posts
I never got around to calling him though it does look like he has them it lets you put them in the cart. On his ad for the now discontinued terminator style rims the size chart is removed. I heard they’re backed up with long shipping times.

- Niko K
Tried to email them but it won’t go through - tells me the form isn’t complete or something lol. Give them a call to see if they have them 😀

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,011 Posts
The biggest problem is they don't make these in 18*9 & 18*10 with our backspacing in 5*4.5. oh, maybe that's MY biggest problem. This is my favorite wheel design by Ford.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,793 Posts
The biggest problem is they don't make these in 18*9 & 18*10 with our backspacing in 5*4.5. oh, maybe that's MY biggest problem. This is my favorite wheel design by Ford.
They used to, unfortunately ever since the deep dish fad became a thing around 10 years ago what 18” cobra R in any bolt pattern that are available have been beaten with an ugly stick, the spoke shape and curvature is way off.

I always veered away from Cobra Rs because they were so cliche but lately kind of want a chrome set for the period correctness(and I find modern wheel designs so much more boring), but I’m in the same boat, need to be 18” and they don’t exist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They used to, unfortunately ever since the deep dish fad became a thing around 10 years ago what 18” cobra R in any bolt pattern that are available have been beaten with an ugly stick, the spoke shape and curvature is way off.

I always veered away from Cobra Rs because they were so cliche but lately kind of want a chrome set for the period correctness(and I find modern wheel designs so much more boring), but I’m in the same boat, need to be 18” and they don’t exist.
I always liked the stock wheels but after seeing a few with the chrome 5 spokes I had to agree, they look so period correct on these. It’s too bad they never even had 5 spokes from the factory.

Tried to email them but it won’t go through - tells me the form isn’t complete or something lol. Give them a call to see if they have them 😀
I haven’t gotten through I’ll try him again, I’ll keep you posted.

Niko K

1 - 19 of 19 Posts