TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I did the rear Cobra shock install tonight 99% of it was smooth sailing but I did have 1 problem.

When removing the top nuts from the old shocks I used a 11/32 socket to keep the top of the shock from spinning while I loosened the top nut. When I installed the new drivers side shock the nut tightened right up. I did not need to hold the top of the shock to keep it from spinning.

However on the passengers side the top of the shock would spin when I tighened it.
The top of the new shock is not 11/32 like it was on the Thunderbird. I could not find and socket that was a good fit so I tried using vice grips to hold the top in place . As soon as I applied any force to the wrench the top would spin within the vice grips. I've worked on this 1 bolt for over an hour and can not get it to loosen or tighten. It looks like the threads on the nut or top of the shock are stripped.

Other than cutting the nut off did anyone have any ideas?

Joe

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any suggestions before I take the hacksaw to this?

Joe

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The threads were not painted. I should have tried threading the nut on and off the shock a few times before I installed it. I'm not familier with a thread file. I assume that just straightens out the damaged threads. Is that something Sears or a auto parts store would have?

Thanks for the info.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts