TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello quick question is the cobra sway bar from a 2001 cobra a direct bolt on to the 97 thunderbird 4.6l?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Unless you find a used one for sale somewhere, ADDCO is the only source for aftermarket Tbird swaybars. For the back, the 1-3/8 bar is overkill. Get the 1-1/4" bar for the back. Leave the stock front one alone.

Or you can buy one from a Tbird parts supplier in Ohio ....

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,839 Posts
Compared to 3rd gen and 4th gen F-bodies that I was into before getting into Mustangs, a lot of people would swap their existing front and/or rear sway bar to a larger/thicker sway bar - extra points if you know the 3-character alphanumeric that is most desired for suspension :D Anyway, besides some on MM's webpage, I don't see them advertised as much and was wondering if there was a better sway bar than what the 99-04 Cobras came with? Was the Cobra R sway bars different? What size is good for a mostly-street-but-sometimes-autocrossing car?
I think you registered to the wrong forum

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I put the 1 1/8" rear bar on my otherwise stock car. That is what was recommended. The bar has worked out great, other than most of the paint coating falling off in the first year :-(

Al

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Since I'm bored, here are some thoughts.
  • F-Bodies have a solid rear axle. There is no comparison for sway bars between that and this platform.
  • Solid axle cars use the sway bar to stabilize the body to the solid axle. IRS cars use the sway bar to stabilize the rear suspension by connecting it to the body. Very different operating modes.
  • Bigger rear sway bars on IRS are only useful if you're drag racing or you want a drift monster. The bigger bar makes the IRS car behave more like a solid axle car in my experience.
  • Looking at the pictures of the Cobra Convertible bar (the IRS version), I don't think you'll get it to work. If there were no other options then you might be able to get it to work.
Come to my house and I'll sell you a 1-1/4" bar for $50. I'm not shipping it because it's too heavy. :p

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
  • F-Bodies have a solid rear axle. There is no comparison for sway bars between that and this platform.
  • Solid axle cars use the sway bar to stabilize the body to the solid axle. IRS cars use the sway bar to stabilize the rear suspension by connecting it to the body. Very different operating modes.
  • Bigger rear sway bars on IRS are only useful if you're drag racing or you want a drift monster. The bigger bar makes the IRS car behave more like a solid axle car in my experience.
  • Looking at the pictures of the Cobra Convertible bar (the IRS version), I don't think you'll get it to work. If there were no other options then you might be able to get it to work.
Come to my house and I'll sell you a 1-1/4" bar for $50. I'm not shipping it because it's too heavy. :p
Dang.

Wish I was closer ?

RwP

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
What size RSB do you run?

I've read what you mentioned here about the bigger RSB, namely the 1-3/8" RSBs. This is the first time I think I've read this about the 1-1/4" RSB.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
What size RSB do you run?

I've read what you mentioned here about the bigger RSB, namely the 1-3/8" RSBs. This is the first time I think I've read this about the 1-1/4" RSB.
Well, I'm actually running the .98" SC rear sway bar with the 1-1/4" front sway bar. What I discovered with my previous MN12 was that it was virtually impossible to control coming out of hard corners in autocross with the big rear bar. The smaller rear bar allows the rear end to be much more predictable and easier to handle. That translated into it being faster ultimately. Conversation with fellow racers has revealed that it's universally true for all rear wheel drive, IRS cars. We also have a WRX and I put a bigger rear bar than the front bar on it because AWD cars tend to push and lack rotation out of the corners and a bigger rear bar helps them. I'm running the same bar setup on the 92 that I had on the 93 and the results are the same even though the car weighs a lot less.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
So considering that I want to do Autocross with the car (albeit probably not as aggressive as you), would you say that I keep my stock RSB and dump the ADCCO 1-1/4" RSB I've picked up already?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
So considering that I want to do Autocross with the car (albeit probably not as aggressive as you), would you say that I keep my stock RSB and dump the ADCCO 1-1/4" RSB I've picked up already?
Your mileage may vary. I would say to give it a shot and see what you think. I think we all learn by doing. It is the easier of the two bars to swap.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,839 Posts
Sway bars shouldn’t be used as a substitute for heavier spring rates, as there are aforementioned side effects in both suspension independence and ride quality. As Randy found out they’re really more of a fine tuning component for the rest of the suspension.

Tire stagger and weight distribution plays a big role here.
Good point. The larger rear bars can counteract the inherent understeer effects a wider rear tire than front creates. I’ve always run square setups with 255s so the Addco 1-1/8” always proved more than enough for me. If I had a 285 back there I’d probably be swayed(tssss) to go with larger diameter.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
For posterity; I ran a square 275 setup on 200tw tires and it didn't matter. It was like being on ice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts