TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to put come 17inch cobras on my car. and they used to be on two SCs so i didnt think i would have a problem. the inner of the wheel rubs the top of the kuckle that gos to the upper ball joint, but just barly. pretty much only the wheel weights that are on the wheel. they are not stick on weights. u think i should just take the weight off and then see if they rub or are they to close???????

·
Registered
962 Posts
so i went to put come 17inch cobras on my car. and they used to be on two SCs so i didnt think i would have a problem. the inner of the wheel rubs the top of the kuckle that gos to the upper ball joint, but just barly. pretty much only the wheel weights that are on the wheel. they are not stick on weights. u think i should just take the weight off and then see if they rub or are they to close???????
Get some wheel spacers, them try it again. And then get the wheels rebalanced.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If its just the weights rubbing then have the wheels rebalanced with tape weights.

Don't run spacers unless you absolutley have to...If these wheels came from me they don't need spacers.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Brad

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they didnt come from u. and i removed the weights. and still seems a tiny bit of rubbing...they been on two differnt Sc s but i never rode in them..

·
Registered
987 Posts
they didnt come from u. and i removed the weights. and still seems a tiny bit of rubbing...they been on two differnt Sc s but i never rode in them..
Do you have any play in the front end with respect to wheel bearings and control arms??

Do they rub when the car is on jacks?? If they don't rub with the car on jacks then they should not rub off jacks. That is a rigid assembly and clearance does not change on or off jacks.

Brad

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I was running 17x7.5 Cobra R style superior scoundrels. I have 255/50/17's on them. the tires come very close to (if not touching) the bottom part of the upper ball joint. (the vertical pin that goes through the spindle). I just ground off the excess part of the pin that stuck down below the attachment point of the spindle. IF thats where your rubbing might give that some thought.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Year??

Hello

What year were the SC?

If before 92 they have different spindles.
different hubs & rotors on 89 & 90's too.

Wheel spacers for the 5 on 4 1/4 are tough the find.

Paul

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they were on a 92 i know for sure. and im not sure about the other one. no play in wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
summit doesnt have wheel spaces kno anywhere else?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would look real close at your upper control arm bushings, and ball joints. Mine did the same thing when backing up, and turning. I put spacers in for a temp fix, then checked everything over. The control are bushings were worn, and upper ball joints worn. Replaced them, and pulled the spacer, no problem for 5 years now.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
tape on weights and a 3/16 spacer, been there, done that. I still have plenty of threads (I think 8 full turns) with the very small spacer. Actually I don't remember if they are 3 mm or 5 mm spacers. 1/8 or 3/16.

And yes, before I updated the 89 Cougar with 93+ spindles, they worked fine on it, but after spindle swap they rubbed on the spindle on both cars (not a problem with the car, but the wheels). These are 17x9 Bullits but sounds like the same thing.

All suspension on both is new except the front strut rod to chassis bushing, including new UCA, LCA, HUBS, shocks, outter tie rod ends, etc.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would look real close at your upper control arm bushings, and ball joints. Mine did the same thing when backing up, and turning. I put spacers in for a temp fix, then checked everything over. The control are bushings were worn, and upper ball joints worn. Replaced them, and pulled the spacer, no problem for 5 years now.
THANK YOU for sharing that!! =)

Brad

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there not off a cobra. and my seems pretty much like one wheel so maybe thats the case....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts