TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the TPS, IAC and MAF and the car idles better, but still has some issue with take off. So I ran codes and cleared the current ones since I replaced parts, took it for a spin, then tested the codes again. Code 173.

Does this necessarily mean the fuel pressure regulator is going or is bad or could it be something related to it like the vacuum line to the FPR or a another vacuum line? As I had said before the O2's are less than 30k in miles, so I doubt it is the O2 causing the code....

... and how come it is only read one O2 sensor? Is that how the older EEC's worked?

94 Cougar, V6 3.8l.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
****. :facepalm:

Well, I think I found out part of my problem if not the problem.

I bought a fuel injector pressure regulator from RockAuto and it would not fit. I was saying to myself, "that damn RockAuto did it again!". So I looked up the part on another site and sure enough, it was the right one for my engine/car and the only one offered for my car on RockAuto.

I started thinking back when I had an 89 Conti with the 3.8l that I pulled parts for it from the yard when I replaced the engine and tranny on it and I think I swapped my rail with the 89. So I looked up the FPR for an 89 Conti and sure enough it is a triangle screw pattern where the 94 FPR is only two screws.

I will look up in the rafters tomorrow to see if I put the 94 rail up there with all my other car parts I have up there.

Otherwise, its a trip the junk yard. Luckily I have a list of crap I would like to get for the Cougar from the yard.

Thanks all for reading this post.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Glad you figured it out. I know what a relief putting your finger on the problem can be...

I hope to solve a mystery of my own soon.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved!

It was the pressure regulator that was the issue. The car has ample pick up on take off and no hesitation. But basically, for the weight of this car, it should never have had a V6 for an engine.

So several of you where correct, hesitation means lean, cause there was not enough GAS going to the engine at take off.

Thanks everyone for your help with my car issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts