TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what could case "Cylinder identification circuit failure" 214 code? Got a new MAFS and that didn't do much for the code...any ideas?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
well i searched online for a good bit, and can't find any suggestions as to the cause. my best guess would be a spark problem, not an air problem. try changing your plugs, and checking your wires. then check your distributor.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
seeing as codes 214-243 are for DIS cars, I would venture to say you have one of those california DIS vehicles right? Is the car having trouble starting? Could be something to do with the crank sensor if my assumptions are correct.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no problems starting at all. I just replaced the cam shaft position sensor last month...I am going to try and change the crank sensor tomorrow. And yes I do have a DIS CA car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cylinder Identification comes from the Camshaft Sensor. I know you changed it last month, but there's actually a TSB relating to incorrect installation. I'm guessing this is the hall effect type, and when you pulled it apart it was damaged inside. Something happens to these things where the hall effect vanes bend and break off the sensor pick-up, or vice-versa. The problem is that this thing is like a distributor, if you don't get it clocked exactly right when you install the new one, it will conflict with crankshaft readings. About the only way to know if it's right is to match the crank and cam sensor waveforms on a scope while adjusting the cam sensor. If you have access to a two-channel scope, and you let me know if you have a two pin or three pin cam sensor, I can send you the procedure. Otherwise, you're going to the dealership, or a good diagnostic shop. Sorry, bud.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my sensor was just a plug in and install. It even says stamped on the sensor
"non adjustable" so I think you just plug it in and install it. I might be wrong tho. I am thinking I might have just got a bad sensor. I am changing it out again today. It's under warranty.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
replacing the sensor on the DIS cars does not involve moving the "distributor" part of it, so unless the magnet on the inside is bad I wouldnt that that to be the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts