TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the car runs fine and the CEL came on last night on the way home.went to work today still on as i'm driving home it went out....huh.anyway scanned it with my Xcal2 and now we are here any help much appreciated.MERRY XMAS ALL.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
looks like your upstream passenger side sensor is going out.....but if you wanna be sure, you can swap it with the one on the driver's side, clear the code and see on which bank the code returns....if it goes to bank2 (driver's side), its the sensor, but if it stays in bank1, then you got some issues on the side of the engine

i got some working, but used, bosch O2s that i recently removed only to replace them with Motorcraft units, that you can have cheap if you want

·
Registered
345 Posts
My Car I thought was running fine, haven’t drove it in a while again, but have started too again and it seemed like it wasn’t running as good as I remembered it wouldn’t shift properly l had to let off the throttle to shift up, also it would hesitated to start sometimes and also seems like it was about to stall during shifting gears. I hooked up the XCal and pulled the codes and it’s the same 2, p0131 and p1131, Bank 1 HO2 Sensor 1 issues. So I searched here on TCCOA and came up with a possible Vacuum leak, EGR issue, or the sensor itself. So I just replaced all 4 HO2s before last summer so I don’t think it’s the sensor itself, I did notice that the bank 1 sensor 1 connector was kind of melted but it didn’t seem that bad once I got the old HO2 out it had more damage than the car’s harness only a little piece was missing from the green outside cover. So I looked in the engine changed the plugs and wires and it runs and shifts better, but started to chug a little under acceleration, less than before. So I a started to look at the things I could with the XCal data logging on the XCal not the computer, windows on my mac is having a hard time recognizing the XCal and the drivers are installed. I noticed the Short Fuel trims did not look right immediately. The short fuel trim for bank 2 seems perfect it ranges between .95 and .99 or so at idle but bank 1 is exactly .10 below and switching exactly the same it seems. During light acceleration or cruising bank 2 will go a little over one and still switch, but bank 1 will either stop switching and seems to put in the default value of .70 an it will not change until hard acceleration where both banks go to .84 or until at an idle for a little while then it will go back to .10 below bank 2. If it does not stop switching during light acceleration or cruising it will follow bank 1 at exactly .10 below. So I started to look for vacuum checked for Vacuum leaks and found one on the 2" rubber vacuum line that comes from the EVAP stuff right next to the passenger side valve cover. Once I fixed that the car ran and accelerated better but I still hear some chugging during acceleration. Also Since I've been driving it again Iv'e noticed something else, the fuel consumption. This last summer when I went to Fun Ford Weekend, drove from Hampton to Petersburg, Drove down the track there a couple of times then drove home all only using a quarter tank. Recently since I've started driving it again it used a quarter tank in one day only driving to work and back all locally in hampton which is about a 10 min drive each way. That's when I changed the plugs it used another quarter tank the next day, that's when I fixed the vacuum leak, the car seemed less hesitant to start or less likely to stall during shifting, but still seems like it may. I filled the tank to 3/4 and it only used 1/8th the next day but the HO2 were doing the same thing, also the gas gauge seems to be fluctuating while I am driving which it's never done before. It would start at half and go between 3/4 an half and even almost went to full, which leads me to believe I have a possible rule issue like the fuel filter or the regulator, not the pump though I recently upgraded it. I'm thinking at this point I either have more vacuum leaks, or an EGR restriction of some sort, or the fuel regulator and/or filter needs to be changed but I wanted to get some suggestions before I go any further.

Also a little bit more info about the car which I think does matter it is supercharged and does have a custom tune that has the rear HO2 turned off so they read 1 all the time so I can't see what sensor 2 says.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I swapped the HO2 for Sensors 1 for bank 1 and 2 then I noticed that Bank 1 was loose between the manifold and the pipe bank 1, tightened it up, I think that fixed the .10 bellow on bank 1. So Bank 1 is switching between .98 and 1.02 great. But bank 2 is now switching exactly the same .95 to .99 but sometimes putting in the default value of .70. So if it's not switching like it was before, it's .70. So I will change that sensor out tomorrow, so the sensor itself is part of the cause, thanks GM. Also found two more vacuum leaks, one between the metal hose in between the passenger valve cover and the plastic tubing going to the EVAP components, and one on the hose between the the canister and the sensor it connects to, the Vacuum line that's like an adapter. The car is running even better that these are also fixed! I will drive it a bit tomorrow to see how it handles, after I change that sensor out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think that may be an issue on the passenger sensor 1 side. I've started to wrap the harness around the transmission dipstick tube and/or pull the harness up and wrap it around something up top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts