TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 1996 4.6 Thunderbird is showing code P0156, bank2 oxy sensor 2 circuit malfunction. I take it that this is the driver side downstream oxygen sensor. I
removed it and it had a small dent on the element and it rattled when I gave it a little shake. The dent came from additional material blowing out of our known damaged converter. What about the rattle? Is this normal? All the sensors I have found on the net tend to cost around $60 and up. Is this as good as it gets? I am still looking for a usable cat system at a reasonable price, but due to non-legality, I am having trouble thru the grapevine. Any recommendations for the acquisition of said item ( as in : how to find a likely source )?
Thanks again, edman.

·
5,650 Posts
Yes, I believe Bank 2 Sensor 2 is the driver's downstream sensor. For sure it is a downstream sensor, anyway. As for the rattle, no that is not normal. A dent and a rattle probably have destroyed the sensor which would perfectly explain the code you're getting.

$60 is right around where you're going to pay. I would recommend to you to go with a genuine Ford one, but some might say that since it's the downstream sensor it doesn't matter. Ford sensors are known to respond faster to changes in exhaust content than other aftermarket sensors. You may try asking Jason at the Ford Parts Counter. He'll most likely give you the best deal you can get on OEM.

BTW, has the damaged converter been replaced?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad converter - still attached

The converters are all still there, but I gutted the badly melted one (pass side).The other two are failing, with the driver side decomposing (for lack of a proper term).This is my daughter's car, and I can't not try to help her.We will get one "Ford" sensor,but I think from the pick-a-part if it's $5 or so (not so=new).
I think she can easily pass smog with replaced left and right converters only.Problem is, we're in CA.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I paid 650.00 for refurb cats , I think someone else posted they paid or got a quote for 550.00 .

There was a place were they were selling them for 350.00 for refurb cats.
But I cant find the link .

Ill post when I get home and maybe you can call them .

Good luck .

·
5,650 Posts
Ooh, you're in California which means that the factory exhaust has 3 cats. Why didn't you just cut the bad cat off? If you go for a visual inspection, there's no way you'll pass with a gutted cat that is followed by a refurb cat. No OBDII system will be allowed to pass visual with consecutive cats like that.

If you replace the left and right converter, you may pass smog but you've got to fix that sensor. I'd hope that you can find a good one in a junk yard and not go through all that to get a dead one. Just remember that the code needs to be cleared and the computer needs to go through the OBDII drive cycle which will truly make sure everything is functioning within specs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts