TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Courgar with a 4.6 and had the check engine light come on. I pulled the codes and Po171 and P0174 came up which are system to lean on bank 1 and bank 2. The car runs fine, I was wondering if any one would have any ideas what maybe causing these codes to come up.

Thanks

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I had a CHECK ENGINE light stare back at me for quite a while before I got it checked. But when I got the codes pulled, I had P0171, P0174 and P0431, so basically the same thing you have now. I ended up giving the car a good tune up. I cleaned the MAF sensor (I have a K&N Filter), install new spark plugs (Bosch Platinum), Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner, and installed new fuel filter. I had recently replaced the plug wires, so I felt that I didn't need to touch them.

Did that and reset the computer (pulled the negative battery cable for 15 min, or so) and the car ran great. No stumbling, and it felt like it had a lot more power. So much that I can do burnouts whenever.

Give that a try. I may have been able to get away with just cleaning the MAF sensor (mine was covered in a black soot), but it wasn't too tough to do (with an exception for the fuel filter, which is a pain if you don't have/make/borrow the tool).

Let me know how that goes.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I agree...

scotthrbacek said:
...I cleaned the MAF sensor (I have a K&N Filter), install new spark plugs (Bosch Platinum), Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner, and installed new fuel filter. I had recently replaced the plug wires, so I felt that I didn't need to touch them.
Fuel injector cleaner is not needed, and could cause problems.

Did that and reset the computer (pulled the negative battery cable for 15 min, or so) and the car ran great. No stumbling, and it felt like it had a lot more power. So much that I can do burnouts whenever.

I prefer to pull the EEC's fuse in the power box, that way you don't lose all your radio pre-sets.

K

·
0 Posts
I had the same codes

BUT..... I ended up tracing the real problem to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold. The gasket had a good size hole so I replaced the $5 gasket and cleared the code.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
heh

Well, Clean those MAF wires first!! I think theres an article about cleaning it in the tech articles on the front page... dont be stupid like me, and waste 2 new o2 sensors, and 2 new cat sensors... bleh. There went my christmas =P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts