·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Reactions: Rodeo Joe and Grog6

·
Registered
1994 Ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
I was thinking it was one of the things not going anywhere I went to cherry pickers here in Toledo they have a 94 super coupe and a 95 there I went 50 mins just to see where that goes and I found out so boutta get up and see if I can get the engine light off

I seen where it’s supposed to go but I don’t have any place to connect that to like I seen on the 94 and 95

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was reading up and more than half said they would just block off the egr wondering if that’s a good idea sense I’m currently not getting any egr flow code p1407 what are ur inputs?

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
EGR helps highway mileage.

I'd fix the hoses and work from there.

May I recommend obtaining the Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) for your year MN12? Along with the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for it?

The EVTM will have full plumbing diagrams for the vacuum lines, and will include drawings of what goes where. With that, it's easier to find what's missing.

RwP

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Those 94 can be a pain to remove the EGR / clean out the manifold if its plugged. Do like Ralph said, check the vacuum lines ( you can manually open the egr with a hand vacuum pump ) - if the engine stumbles, the EGR system is working and it may have something to do with the DPFE sensor ( differential pressure, this is the sensor that actually measures EGR flow ) - its the rectangle sensor with two hoses attached to the EGR tube.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Those 94 can be a pain to remove the EGR / clean out the manifold if its plugged. Do like Ralph said, check the vacuum lines ( you can manually open the egr with a hand vacuum pump ) - if the engine stumbles, the EGR system is working and it may have something to do with the DPFE sensor ( differential pressure, this is the sensor that actually measures EGR flow ) - its the rectangle sensor with two hoses attached to the EGR tube.
I was more referring to Bobbah's post with this picture:

Per Matt, that's the EGR vacuum hose ...

RwP

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yeah i noticed that post after this one. F-n double posters wasting my time. 😂

Except i dont remember that particular vacuum line on my old 1994 4.6 going to anything except the manifold port behind the TB where that 180 is .. The EGR has a small plastic line to the EVR to the distribution block. That line in the picture is not for EGR.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
That’s the EVAP/PCV vacuum line that goes to a tee feeding both banks of the manifold. My bad, I saw that earlier and thought P0174 which is a lean code that hose being disconnected would cause.

EGR insufficient flow on 94-95s is most often the manifold passages being clogged up solid with carbon buildup. To get to them you’ll have to take the elbow off, can kill two birds with one stone and fix that vacuum leak which is in the same area

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was more referring to Bobbah's post with this picture:

Per Matt, that's the EGR vacuum hose ...

RwP
Yeah that EGR vacuum hose there I cannot find where it goes I’ve looked everywhere a few times and nothing replacing the egr looks like a pain and don’t wanna have to if I don’t need to so I gotta either do some trouble shooting to see if the engine light goes off

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Distinction between PCV tubes and the EGR hose, which comes from the EGR Vacuum Control Solenoid (EVR).

I wouldn't be too optimistic that you can fix the P1407 by just cleaning the passages between the intake manifold and the EGR valve. Hope you don't have to pass an emission test to renew your registration.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Bobbah - My experience is with a '95 LX and I see yours is a '94. Hope the '94 EGR system isn't as hard to work on as the '95. - Jim

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
94 and 95 are identical. I was able to clean those passages and clear the code at 150k miles. At 220k, it had spread to the EGR pipe, and I was done.

Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
94 and 95 are identical. I was able to clean those passages and clear the code at 150k miles. At 220k, it had spread to the EGR pipe, and I was done.

Al
Yeah I’m gonna do some cleaning to see if that’s the problem if not I’ll just start replacing things probably my best bet

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
There is no "replacing things", the parts are not available. It's just cleaning baked-on soot out of the passages, a real grind. The EGR valve itself is available, but it rarely goes bad.

How many miles are on the car? That will tell you how bad it really is.

Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no "replacing things", the parts are not available. It's just cleaning baked-on soot out of the passages, a real grind. The EGR valve itself is available, but it rarely goes bad.

How many miles are on the car? That will tell you how bad it really is.

Al
Just a little above 100k so I just gotta get to cleaning is really all I can do then?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Before doing anything, make sure all the EGR hoses are hooked up to that square device behind the throttle body. The red and green plastic hoses are easy to break.

My money is that is what is causing your CE light, since you have another thread with disconnected hoses.

At only 100k, it shouldn't be clogged up yet.

Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Before doing anything, make sure all the EGR hoses are hooked up to that square device behind the throttle body. The red and green plastic hoses are easy to break.

My money is that is what is causing your CE light, since you have another thread with disconnected hoses.

At only 100k, it shouldn't be clogged up yet.

Al
Yeah I have this one hose but no idea where it goes to I’ve looked everywhere. my check engine light could of been on for the longest time my father said he took the bulb out for the CEL cuz it was “Annoying” something about a sensor just recently got a whole new speedometer so it popped up

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts