TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
94 and 95 are identical. I was able to clean those passages and clear the code at 150k miles. At 220k, it had spread to the EGR pipe, and I was done.

Al
The place where carbon clogs up the EGR pipe itself is between the two hoses to the DPFE sensor, the pipe has an internal restriction aka metering orifice. The hardest part is removing the tube without breaking it off at the flex.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,909 Posts
The place where carbon clogs up the EGR pipe itself is between the two hoses to the DPFE sensor, the pipe has an internal restriction aka metering orifice. The hardest part is removing the tube without breaking it off at the flex.
They also clog up under the elbow, on mine these three slots were filled solid with carbon when I pulled it off for the PI. Horrendous design.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Before doing anything, make sure all the EGR hoses are hooked up to that square device behind the throttle body
Good point. In addition to if the tube is clogged, the system will see no flow and give a 1407 if either of the hoses are disconnected, too. With only 100K good chance it's only the EGR passages and not the EGR tube that's clogged.
egr tube drawing.jpg

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Right, that orifice in the pipe is what got me on my old '95. I soaked it for days with top engine cleaner, blew compressed air and fished stainless wire down the pipe to no avail. When I finally started the car, I made a smoke show that would rival any Seafoam video, lol!

Al

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right, that orifice in the pipe is what got me on my old '95. I soaked it for days with top engine cleaner, blew compressed air and fished stainless wire down the pipe to no avail. When I finally started the car, I made a smoke show that would rival any Seafoam video, lol!

Al
Actually I have used seafoam and a wire to clean those itty bitty tubes. Hardest part is how to get it in. The brake cleaner with the straw works well but wear eye protection as It will spray back and it burns like H#11. It does pay off in the long run as it allows the DPFE to work properly. Done it on several of my fords and YES it smokes like a steel mill. the new Seafoam Deep Creep would probably work real well as it did on removing the infamous plugs on my 3v F-150.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I made a funnel of sorts for the job - a funnel with a hose connected, reducing to a smaller hose, then a smaller one, etc. I also used the highly recommended GM top engine cleaner, lacquer thinner, you name it. Nothing worked for me.

Al

21 - 27 of 27 Posts