TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now my CEL has turned on every once in a while, but it normally turns back off in a few days. Well today I decided to buy a reader after it turned on, and found out it was P1443. The thing is, it turned off again. The reader isn't picking up any pending codes or anything.
Any thoughts on why it would be going off and on? The code has a some what broad range of fixes, so maybe there would be a particular probably that could be making it turn off and on. :confused:

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
I searched the site, and it seems that people who've had that code go after the control valve or the sensor. Here's info from both the 1997 and 1995 manuals....(I notice that both are listed in your profile; the post doesn't indicate which one you're referring to! :D )

From the 1997 Service Manual:

Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 indicates an incorrect evaporative system purge control valve flow.

Possible causes:

Obstructed, open or cracked hoses between EVAP canister purge valve and intake manifold.
Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.
Damaged PF sensor.

From the 1995 Service Manual:

Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 can be initiated by an IAC valve speed error sometime during vehicle operation. If a Continuous DTC P1507 is received with the DTC P1443 in Self-Test, GO directly to Pinpoint Test Step KE30 .

Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 indicates an Evaporative Emission System - vacuum system, Canister Purge (CANP) solenoid (mechanical) or Vapor Management Valve (VMV) (mechanical) Malfunction.

Possible causes:

Damaged or blocked carbon canister.
Pinched, plugged, blocked, cracked, cut or disconnected fuel vapor tubes/hoses between the carbon canister, Canister Purge (CANP) solenoid, Purge Flow (PF) sensor, Vapor Management Valve (VMV) and the engine intake manifold.
Damaged CANP solenoid.
Damaged PF Sensor.
Damaged VMV.
CANP, VMV, or PF circuit shorted to VPWR.
Note: Fuel saturation of carbon canister cannot be effectively checked by the canister weight or intensity of odor (smell). Engine must run over an extended period of time to purge fuel (vapor) build-up in carbon canister.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Aaron,

i got the same code last year. i replaced the evap canister and soleniod. its like 60$ in parts and its a dealer only parts type deal. its fairly easy to get to, its behind the front passenger splash shield. also, if the light was on for a few days and the engine goes through enough key cycles the code will go away, mine did it too. finally, i have a 96, so if it your 97 car then you have an easy fix. but if its for your 95.....i dont know what to tell ya, i dont have one.

joseph

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the same code couple of months back and mine had a bad wire (broken at connector) to the EVAP solenoid.

So check the wires out and if that's ok, it's probably just the solenoid bailing on you.

btw here are the part no. for the solenoid "Evap Control Valve: E6ZZ-9C915-A"

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got another tcode today. I went to start the car to back it out of the shop (just got back from the track, putting my stuff back in). Anyways, it started to die (so it seemed). The CEL came on, and I got a P0172 - System (adaptive fuel) too rich (bank 1). I changed the plugs and wires yesterday (as well as my oil & coolant), and they are on good. I put in Ford Racing 9mm wires, and Motorcraft 22c's (gapped at .060). Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Did anybody ever figure this out? Mine idles low and rough, with codes p0175 and p1443 currently. I hit it hard the other day on the highway and it started missing violently, so I turned around and drove 8 miles home. I let it sit for about a day and then started it. It runs fine now, but I am seeing this p1443 accompanying my persistent p0175 code. I will have to do some more diagnosis when I get some time, but perhaps someone has some other good advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I replaced them all for fun with fuel hose back in march since they were that crappy stock hose type that leaves black residue on your hands. I was modding the snorkel and decided to mess with that while I was in there.

On a side note, I was leaving the shop today to go home for lunch and it began to miss again for a few seconds, but when I got on the road and leaned into the throttle it cleared up. I have drove it about 5-10 miles since then without a single hiccup. The warm idle in D is about 500 rpm which is too low.

On another side note, the only mod I have done recently is installing the used dirtydog converter I got, which really makes the car feel great, BTW. I also did the poly crossmember bushings. I had the p0175 before that though...yes I know I shouldve diagnosed that earlier, but the TC swap was so much more fun ;) On my 94 I found bare wires around the back of the LH head and intake and that caused P017X codes. I have looked for this on the 96 though and I dont see anything bare, unless I am missing it. I'm probably just gonna have to go to town with a pinpoint test.

Has anyone actually seen a MAF cause the p0175 on a single bank? I would presume that it would affect both banks if it was the MAF.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Alright, I ordered a motorcraft purge valve and standard flow sensor (had ford markings when I took it out of the box though.) While I had it apart, I hotwired the purge valve and my breath would flow through it when activated, but not when off, so I put the original back in. The new flow sensor was only like $30. My flow sensor data was below 0.90v with the engine idling, so rather than testing the circuits like the pinpoint test wanted me to, I just replaced it.

I let the car idle for about 20 mins and hopped in it. It idles at a normal speed now in D (like 6-700) and I dont know why the flow sensor would have anything to do with that. My big concern now is that I am getting a pretty serious misfire when I get hard into the throttle. I have installed some NGKs gapped at 0.060", screamin demon coils, and motorcraft wires all in the last year. If I cruise slowly it wont miss, but over half throttle it will intermittently misfire heavily. I have to fix this soon because I dont want to leave town with it missing that bad. I might do a fuel volume and pressure test soon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I will let everyone know if the p1443 and p0175 comes back.

EDIT: 8-4-12 It doesnt seem to miss near as much during acceleration today, only while making turns. This is so peculiar I dont know what to think! It will even do it while idling in drive and turning the wheels. Its not from the RPMs getting low from the drag, IMO, but you can feel it missing as the wheel is turned. I am at a loss on this one so far. No codes yet except the occasional p0175. I cleared them earlier when repairing a bad battery connection and after 12 miles, still no codes. Man, has anyone heard of anything like this? Thanks in advance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts