TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, even though my 95 bird is OBD2 compliant, I don't understand why many code readers work only on 1996 and up cars. I'm having a difficult time finding an inexpensive one. All I need it to do is read codes.

Can anyone explain the reason for this situation? It's funny to see a mechanic try to find the OBD port on the driver's side, because on my car it's on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
They all say 96+ because that is when OBD2 became standard. Any OBD2 code reader will work on your car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes a lot of sense

They all say 96+ because that is when OBD2 became standard. Any OBD2 code reader will work on your car.
Thank you sir, it makes perfect sense, but at the same time, if I were in the business of selling these things, it wouldn't make sense to me to not specify they work on any OBD2 equipped car.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Most people don't know that any cars prior to 96 were OBD2, and that probably includes the people selling these code readers, and possibly even the people making them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've owned two 1995's since 2003, but it was only in the past two years I learned it myself. I should be ashamed because it is right there in the owner's manual. About ten years ago I had a CEL, and pulled into Sears to get a code reading. At the time, I didn't know about OBD2; I just knew my car had a computer that could be read with an instrument. Now, even though the port was there, and I didn't know it, neither did the guy at Sears. He told me he couldn't help me.

Car owning is part of life's journey. Mine started with a simple, good old 1955 Ford V8. When it comes to simplicity, those were the days. However, as much as I enjoyed life in the 50's, I'd never trade my 1995 for my old 1955.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know how you feel, I started with a 69 Mark III. That car was simple (actually complex for the day) had a 94 bird and now have a 97 Mark VIII. The OBD 2 actually makes life easier in a lot of ways and I like the gas mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts