TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been busy as of late helping my neighbor with some several Gen II Exploders. What is a Code reader that can read Tranny and ABS codes and ideally perform diagnostic routines I used to on OBD-I. Also is this something Quarter Horse could ?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Been busy as of late helping my neighbor with some several Gen II Exploders. What is a Code reader that can read Tranny and ABS codes and ideally perform diagnostic routines I used to on OBD-I. Also is this something Quarter Horse could ?
Gaining access to the OBD2 will be far easier than trying to access the ECU for a QH module. I don't think that's the right tool for you. OBD2 readers are CHEAP to read standard codes. A handheld is fairly convenient but the BT module gives you flexibility to do more stuff (if the car is capable of it)
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/

For my Prius, I did some basic recoding (changing the behavior of the door locks and turning off the annoying reverse dinging) with a $2-4 OBD2 dongle from eBay
Pro ELM327 V2.1 OBD2 Bluetooth WIFI Car Auto Diagnostic Interface Scanner F0 | eBay
Plus the Torque PRO Android app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

For some cars though you might need a more specialized tool. Example:
Audis have this software called VCDS (formerly VAGCOM) which was ~$200 (or you buy the knockoff cable and roll the dice with the "lite" $99 SW).
Alternative for $70.
https://shopdap.com/store/vw-audi-scan-tool-obdeleven.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvrfY8qL_rSR47AAOTF5Z0cqMaozRpw1n35hgear4Gy0aAmPp8P8HAQ

Quarterhorse is best for doing DIY tuning and turning off functions that your ECU controls. The downside is that unlike an SCT programmer, it does not reflash the existing ECU with your changes (when your ECU boots up it reads the QH module hung off of it's J3 interface. Instead, you must either leave the QH module in place on top of the stock ECU on the car or in addition to the $250 QH module (which lets you READ the ECU), you must also buy a J3 programmer ($75) to write to an F3v2 memory adapter and leave that F3 adapter ($75) hooked up to the ECU on the car. When you add in the cost of the QH module ($250) plus the Binary Editor SW $100 and the strategy (config file to interpret the ECU image) @ $25, it's not the tool you are necessarily looking for.
-g

-g

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
For OBD2 stuff I use the OBDlink adapters and Torque and Car Gauge apps depending on vehicle.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
If you are working on mostly Ford vehicles FORScan is pretty much free and will access almost any system and module. You run it on PC so you obviously need an OBD to laptop interface. It will do much more on any Ford vehicle then a normal obd2 scanner you can buy will do. Even lets you get into the PATS system if you have "key issues", and will get you into the air ride systems if you have it

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Will the FORScan do anything like change WOT shift points back to normal after a J-mod, or eliminate the timing retard at shifts (really hate that one!)

Al

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mentions QH because it will have other uses, planning a EFI swap into a 63 Fairlane plus other things, though yes most everything right now is FOMOCO.

FORScan looks interesting.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Will the FORScan do anything like change WOT shift points back to normal after a J-mod, or eliminate the timing retard at shifts (really hate that one!)

Al
Older cars it can't do any tuning or programing. From what I have read on newer models it can somewhat. It's popular on the Ford truck forums, that's where I found out about it.

TBH I have never hooked it up to my MN12s. Maybe I will soon and see if I does anything besides scan codes and read sensor data

1 - 7 of 7 Posts