TCCoA Forums banner

Codes and Reinhart codes.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Darin 
#1 ·
I went to emissions with the 97 4.6 I just bought and the check engine light was on. They showed codes P0171, P0174 - Bank 1 and 2 lean and code P1443. The first 2 are suppose to be because of the Reinhart chip and Lightning MAF is there any way to fix those... turn them of without someone locally doing a $350.00 dyno tune? P1443 says "Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault" what needs to be replaced?

#2 ·
if bank 1 and 2 are lean, it is most likely the result of a vacuum leak somewhere, unless both oxygen sensors happen to be bad.....you'd probably spend more money on getting a retune to change the threshold limits that the EEC uses to set off the lean codes (not advisable at all, since it would mask an underlying problem), so i dont think that would be in your best interest.....start with the cheap stuff and look into vacuum leaks and possible fuel delivery problems like clogged fuel system components

if the chip is programmed correctly, it, nor the LMAF, will cause lean codes by themselves

for the p1443, you probably have to replace the rotted lines and/or the purge valve and solenoid behind the passenger side headlight....i replaced mine thru by taking off the splash guard and working in there

#3 ·
According to the previous owner since he plugged in the Reinhart chip the CEL has been on and is to be expected. So I guess the P0171 and P0174 are due to the tune and the P1443 is parts. I will still check for vacuum leaks and replace lines and purge valve as needed.

#4 ·
If what you say is true than if you can get a hold of a stock MAF you could pull the chip out, disconnect the neg side battery cable for 5 min, reconnect it and then drive it around to see it the CELs come back. If they don't then it's the programming. If they do then you have a vac leak somewhere. I would check real good for a vac leak first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.