Ok guys, I got my codes read earlier at Advance Auto and here is what came up:

DTC P1443
EVAP Emission
Control System
Cnrtl Valve Malf

DTC P0174
System Too Lean
Bank 2

What do these mean and how can I fix them?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
okay the 1443 is a common problem I've noticed. I would say the purge valve has gone out on your cougar. Same thing is going on with mine. The sensor might be gone or there is a leak but I know my purge valve for the evap system is not purging like its supposed to. I've been trying to find one on a junk car to swap so I don't have to pay 70 bux for a new one.

As for the system too lean try cleaning the MAF sensor. Its cheap and might just fix the problem :) Hope that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The code for the lean bank 2 code could be an intake gasket going out. I have seen this on some crown vic 4.6s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just checked my "check engine" dummie light and it gave me a list of crap to fix can somebody help with them the codes are
P0102 MAF CIRCUIT LOW INPUT
PO156 025 CIRCUIT B252
PO161 025 HEATER CIRCUIT B252
P1400 DPFE SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLT
P1407 EGR NO FLOW DETECTED
PO301 CYLINDER #1 MISFIRE DETECTED
PO302 CYLINDER #2 MISFIRE DETECTED
PO304 CYLINDER #4 MISFIRE DETECTED
P1000 OBD II MONITOR TEST/DRIVE CYCLE FAILED

sounds like I need a tune up lol
the car drives very well even with all these codes but misses below 2000RPM
I think I Need to replace the MAF sensor maybe a O2 sensor regap the sparkplugs
(whats the firing order on fords) but the rest I have no IDEA please help thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think there should be a sticky with all of the codes or at least the more "popular" ones with info on the fixes or possible causes. This would also be a good idea for the 3.8 section. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BIRD-OF-PREY said:
Certainly

96Cogie, how much did autozone charge for the codes?
I went to Advance and they didn't charge me anything.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Actright said:
I just checked my "check engine" dummie light and it gave me a list of crap to fix can somebody help with them the codes are
P0102 MAF CIRCUIT LOW INPUT
PO156 025 CIRCUIT B252
PO161 025 HEATER CIRCUIT B252
P1400 DPFE SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLT
P1407 EGR NO FLOW DETECTED
PO301 CYLINDER #1 MISFIRE DETECTED
PO302 CYLINDER #2 MISFIRE DETECTED
PO304 CYLINDER #4 MISFIRE DETECTED
P1000 OBD II MONITOR TEST/DRIVE CYCLE FAILED

sounds like I need a tune up lol
the car drives very well even with all these codes but misses below 2000RPM
I think I Need to replace the MAF sensor maybe a O2 sensor regap the sparkplugs
(whats the firing order on fords) but the rest I have no IDEA please help thanks
The PC/ED manual states to troubleshoot other codes first, in regards to the P1000 and misfire codes (P0301, P0302, P0304 in this case). A common "possible cause" in all of the other codes is a faulty PCM.

Also, the first question "asked" in the diagnostics for P1000 is "did the vehicle run out of gas recently?" If so, clear the codes -- "Vehicle OK" (per the manual).

P1400 and P1407 -- I'd suspect that the DPFE sensor is at fault, especially if it has never been replaced on your car. The sensor on my car has been replaced twice in the car's 301,600+ miles, not to mention the EGR vacuum regulator (or solenoid).

How clean is the MAF sensor? There's a cleaning routine outlined in the Technical Articles: Read it here.

P0156 -- check if there's a leak in the exhaust between the engine and the end of the cataysts. If OK, then there's a circuit problem (wiring exposed, shorted, etc.).

If wiring is OK, the in both the P0156 and P0161 cases, the O² sensor is faulty.

....unless the PCM is toast....

Obviously, the test routines have more steps than my very abbreviated versions indicate. Try searches for the codes here, and see what additional info has been posted....or see if a service manual's available on eBay....

·
Registered
31 Posts
thank you so much very helpful :bowdown:
im headed to the wrecker tomarrow to gank some stuff.
don't know what was replaced on the car only had it for about 2 months
BTW 94 LX 4.6 v8 130,000+

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
p0174

Why would this code cause the car to run so damn lean?
And bank 2 is what side? Driver or passenger?
Perhaps I missed a torque spec. or something. I would rather do that before I start tearing it down again.
Im getting a solid 13 mpg. :rolleyes:
Oh well....the 2v is only temporary :diablo:

I had done the updated NPI intake swap, and did the torque sequence, but maybe not the complete torque spec. on one of them.... what causes it to go bad?

thanks,
brian

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
jda95bird said:
I think there should be a sticky with all of the codes or at least the more "popular" ones with info on the fixes or possible causes. This would also be a good idea for the 3.8 section. What do you guys think?
The most popular ones for sure. Sounds like a good idea. Posting a complete list would be lengthy. There are a lot of codes for OBDII. Here's a list: http://www.edwardsinc.us/files/tccoa/codes.txt

Not every car will have all these codes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts