TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving out on my own soon so I decided to make myself a coffee table :)

Before I pulled tha masking tape off:

After I pulled the masking tape off:

I Sprayed the inside of the block and most of the machined surfaces an aluminum sliver. Sprayed a few coats of clear on that and masked the machined surfaces off and sprayed everything else gloss black. I gotta weld up the brackets that are gonna hold up the glass top (Freebie! :) ) and then lug it over to my new crib and hope that it will fit where I wanna put it (I dont have couches or a TV stand or anything yet, so I got no solid measurments to go by). I have plans for some special lighting for it that will hopefully turn out well. I hope to have completed pics with it in the house in a month or so.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Looks good...I've got a cast iron gray 289 end table right now...we're going to convert it to a coffee table. I was going to repaint it similar to how you have that one once I get back to Orlando, and add on a piston/rod at each corner for conversion to coffee table :)

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
That looks really cool. I just wonder how much it would end up weighing.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Heh.. who cares what it weighs? It looks cool! :thumbsup:

My crank/rod/piston table is going to be heavy and a little awkward, but again.. it'll look cool.. :D

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
That looks really cool. I just wonder how much it would end up weighing.
At least he won't have to worry about it traveling too far in a hurricane.:)

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
My SC block weighs probably close to that. I wish I had an adequate scale at the house... I'm just curious.. weigh it in stages.. :)

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno how much it weighs, but its pretty heavy and is only gonna get heavier since the glass top that I have for it is pretty heavy as well. Only thing I’m really worried about is someone stubbing their toe on it :eek:

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Aaron K. said:
...Only thing I’m really worried about is someone stubbing their toe on it :eek:
Doh!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Yeah hmm.. it might not be a bad idea to afix plexiglass on the front and rear of the block to cut down on "slice your foot open" chances. Not that most people would be stupid enough to stick their bare feet under there, but you never know anymore.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ShadowDragon said:
Yeah hmm.. it might not be a bad idea to afix plexiglass on the front and rear of the block to cut down on "slice your foot open" chances.
I thought of that too, but I'm gonna wait until I make the brackets and have the glass on top to see if I really need it. If I do that I think I'll go ahead and put it on all four sides as well. Either that or a "Sit/walk near the coffee table at your own risk" sign along with a dark red or black rug to hide the blood stains :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hmmm...making furniture out of old carparts... Maybe that's what I'll do with those old camshafts! I could make a pair of lamps out of em. :) I've got a new project, and it's a cheap one this time too!:eek:

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tested out my lighting idea without the glass on top and it looks sweet @ss as hell :) I'm getting some SC seats and I'm thinking of making a couch of sorts for my bedroom or my extra room if I cant sell my old leather seats.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Um, not to be an *** by digging up such an old post, but since I've realized that there's no point in rebuilding my '77 302 (see website), I was thinking of adding some much needed testosterone to our apartment by making this. Can you re-host the pictures of this thing?

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

These were taken back in January. I've since cut a new piece of rug for underneath that matches the contour of the glass top. I also got rid of the shoelace that was holding the black light in place :) I made a back out of plexi glass, painted it black, bolted it to the block where the oil pan bolts up and fastened the black light to the plexi glass.

I'd take current pics, but I need to vacuum :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts