TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know that this forum takes a giant cross-section across America (you can see just by the variety in the beer thread) so I thought it might be interesting to see what else other tbird people like drinking. I noticed when I visited a company my company recently acquired on the east coast how different their coffee was compared to what we brew at our offices in the Bay Area. I work with lots of Israelis and they've always taken their coffee seriously. In comparison, the more american/midwestern stock in our new acquisition based in Maryland like this light brown stuff they claim is coffee.

In an effort to lower my calorie intake and weight (I can't just eat EVERYTHING I wanted like when I was in my 20s and even early 30s), I've largely started drinking a cup of a coffee daily instead of a coke. It's helped keep the weight off with the downside that the occasional coke I DO have nowadays almost tastes too sweet.

Anyway, I'll start....

Amount & Frequency: most (but not all) mornings I'll have 1 cup. I don't drink any coffee after noon unless i'm super tired (perhaps travelling).

Preferred Preparation Style: French Press. I like how I can control volume and make only 1 cup (since my wife doesn't drink coffee regularly) and strength. Its also faster than a classic pourover method (preferred for vietnamese coffee). Only downside with the french press is that if you grind your beans too fine, your coffee can get a little muddled.

Additives: I prefer straight black w/o milk and w/o sugar. However, with Ca Fe Sua Da (Vietnamese Iced Coffee) aka my favorite adulturated coffee, I enjoy using condensed milk in my coffee. Having a squeeze bottle around in the fridge is always convenient - the cans drive me crazy
https://www.target.com/p/nestle-le-lechera-milk-syrup-15-8oz/-/A-16987254

Preferred Beans: If I had to pick ONE type, it would be Cafe Du Monde Coffee with Chicory. While this is the most popular coffee in New Orleans, it also happens to be the most popular for ca fe sua da in virtually every pho restaurant I've ever been to in the US. If you've never had it, chicory was used as a way to cut coffee beans in the deep south with a coffee like slightly bitter root during the blockade of the Confederacy. My russian co-worker says they did this back in the Soviet Union as well. Some people (myself included) like its taste.
https://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Du-Monde-Coffee-Chicory/dp/B0000E5JIU/
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/this-is-what-chicory-is-and-why-it-sometimes-shows-up-in-coffee_n_55918228e4b081449b4c95ff

NOTE: The picture of the coffee in the french press is NOT Cafe Du Monde. These are some beans grown in Thailand that a friend gave me and honestly, it's not good. Waay to watery tasting and if you add more beans, it almost takes a metallic taste. Just like you wouldn't necessarily trust Virginians to make wine (Are Donald Trump?s wine any good? What the critics say | STEVE HEIMOFF BLOG), don't trust Thai people to grow coffee beans.

PROTIP: If you ever visit New Orleans and want to have the coffee + beignets, SKIP the stupid 1hr long line for Cafe Du Monde. Instead, go to the walk-up window and pick up the coffee + beignets TO GO from a window on the right. You'll get the same piping hot beignets after standing in a MUCH SHORTER (like 15 min) line and you can sit in the park and watch the same people you'd be watching for over an hour if you had stayed in the sit down line.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Folgers.

Water over 160°F, to dissolve the oils.

Kouregs make crappy coffee, they don't get hot enough.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Deathwish for me

Maxwell House for the wife.

RwP

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I consume a cup of coffee a day every morning. If I don't do so within 2 - 3 hours of waking up, I end up with a headache which can sometimes progress to a migraine. No, I'm not a coffee addict :).

During the work week, my coffee consumption is from a company called Standard Coffee, which apparently serves businesses. I'm not sure what coffee beans they get, but it gets the job done. I call it the "wake up juice".

On weekends, the coffee I make at home is either Folgers and Yuban. On weekends, I make enough coffee for the whole family as they like to partake in the coffee drinking and enjoy how I make it. On special occasions, I'll brew coffee from my family's country, Nicaragua.

I don't ever take my coffee straight, it's always adulterated. The adulteration coffee is two teaspoons of non-dairy creamer and two teaspoons of sugar. If I have liquid creamer, I pour in the coffee first leaving room for creamer. I then add creamer until it "swirls" on its own in the cup. Then I add my two teaspoons of sugar (only if it's half-and-half). I serve coffee for my wife and kids exactly like mine. However, for the kids I also add an ice cube to help cool the coffee down a bit so it doesn't burn them.

·
Administrator
7,996 Posts
Chock Full of Nuts, half decaf. Cuisinart drip coffee maker.

Usually a couple of cups in the early morning with a little sugar and cream.

Joe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dunkin donuts original blend. Usually out off my Keurig, due to simplicity and little time. 12-16 ounces and a packet of Splenda. Just like the sweetness and the way it mixes better than sugar. Caribou Coffee daybreak is as a good solid coffee. Prefer a fairly solid coffee flavor work being bitter. It's a nice middle ground.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
When I'm home I consume a POT of coffee every morning. ~10 cups of coffee or 3 decent size coffee mugs. On the road it's usually only one cup because I'm on the go and don't have the time to consume mass quantities of coffee.

I have a dual use Delongi machine at home with a brewing pot on one side and that's capable of making espresso and steaming milk on the other side but I never use that side of the machine.

My brother bought me a grinder for my birthday or Christmas a few years ago (I don't remember the exact occasion), anyway I buy my beans whole either from Fresh Market or more recently the 365 varieties from Whole Foods like Pacific Rim, Island Blend, Hometown Blend or Pleasant Morning Buzz. I use a medium-fine grind. I love flavored coffees or just something with a smooth flavor. I'm not a fan of really light roasts like Starbucks Veranda. The Caribou Obsidian is amazing. I tend to change up my coffee from time to time to keep things interesting.

On the road it's Starbucks for me although I much prefer Caribou Coffee. Their locations aren't near as ubiquitous as Starbucks. I'm also a fan of discovering local coffee shops. As the saying goes "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks." Starbucks really over-roasts their beans and their coffee is quite bitter although it's loaded with caffeine.

Additives:
On the ground I put just a little Half & Half cream in the coffee. No flavored creams for me either. Real cream not that powder crap. I'll also use milk from the breakfast bar at the hotels. If I have no other choice I'll use the ultra-pasteurized stuff that comes in the mini-cups. No sugar or other sweeteners.

In the air I always order coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream.

My Thoughts on KEURIGS
IMHO Absolute one of the worst inventions ever. They are so costly, wasteful and environmentally unfriendly. Not to mention the potential health dangers of combining hot water with plastic. Depending on the cups you use, "Official" Keurig or aftermarket, they may or may not be BPA-free, even if the cup is BPA-free it's plastic all the same and still a health hazard.

https://time.com/3731356/keurig-coffee-k-cup/

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Thoughts on KEURIGS
IMHO Absolute one of the worst inventions ever. They are so costly, wasteful and environmentally unfriendly. Not to mention the potential health dangers of combining hot water with plastic. Depending on the cups you use, "Official" Keurig or aftermarket, they may or may not be BPA-free, even if the cup is BPA-free it's plastic all the same and still a health hazard.

https://time.com/3731356/keurig-coffee-k-cup/
I generally agree, but something has to kill you, right?! Also Check out Camerons blends for the Keurig. No plastic cup and biodegradable. Those were my go to for the longest time and I recently went back to the Caribou and DD plastic cancer cups. When the Keurig is a free Wedding gift, it's not all that bad, but "Free" is questionable with an expensive event like that.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
True. I prefer dying of old age. Biodegradable/compostable is good but Keurig still very expensive compared to conventional (home) brewing.

The machine is free and or low priced but they kill you on cost of the cups. It's like buying a printer for next to nothing and then having to spend a fortune on toner.

Yea, they're super convenient, my parents have one and they're quite common on my job sites. I also see them in many a hotel room in my travels.

https://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Coffee-Single-Serve-Blend/dp/B01MQN9N79

$33.06 for Six - 12 count boxes ... so that's 72 cups for $33.06 = .459 cents per cup. Not bad compared to Starbucks at $3 a cup.

Anyway, I've used them on occasion and they're not bad tasting. But, personally, I'd never buy one.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I absolutely loathe the Keurigs. Sure, I'll use them if I'm offered coffee and that's all they have. However, you won't find me buying one of those machines and their associated cups.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
OTOH, we have a Dual Function Hamilton Beach coffee maker.

It came with a grounds cup for the "K-cup" side; I can put ground coffee in there and brew.

It's really more of a mini perc with the piercing needles to handle a K-cup than a Keurig-style brewer.

Why, yes, I DO own a Keurig also, but it's being retired. Pam (the wife) can't take DeathWish; half a cup and she gets a 2 day migraine. OTOH, I'm old school IT ... I bleed caffeine, and skeeters who bit me self destruct when they hit Mach 2 on leaving my arm >:)

RwP

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I consume a cup of coffee a day every morning. If I don't do so within 2 - 3 hours of waking up, I end up with a headache which can sometimes progress to a migraine. No, I'm not a coffee addict :).

During the work week, my coffee consumption is from a company called Standard Coffee, which apparently serves businesses. I'm not sure what coffee beans they get, but it gets the job done. I call it the "wake up juice".

On weekends, the coffee I make at home is either Folgers and Yuban. On weekends, I make enough coffee for the whole family as they like to partake in the coffee drinking and enjoy how I make it. On special occasions, I'll brew coffee from my family's country, Nicaragua.

I don't ever take my coffee straight, it's always adulterated. The adulteration coffee is two teaspoons of non-dairy creamer and two teaspoons of sugar. If I have liquid creamer, I pour in the coffee first leaving room for creamer. I then add creamer until it "swirls" on its own in the cup. Then I add my two teaspoons of sugar (only if it's half-and-half). I serve coffee for my wife and kids exactly like mine. However, for the kids I also add an ice cube to help cool the coffee down a bit so it doesn't burn them.
Out of curiosity, at what age did your kids start drinking coffee? Has their dentist said anything about this (perhaps b/c of staining)? I didn't start drinking coffee until well into college probably b/c my parents were always hesitant to give it to me. :)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
True. I prefer dying of old age. Biodegradable/compostable is good but Keurig still very expensive compared to conventional (home) brewing.

The machine is free and or low priced but they kill you on cost of the cups. It's like buying a printer for next to nothing and then having to spend a fortune on toner.

Yea, they're super convenient, my parents have one and they're quite common on my job sites. I also see them in many a hotel room in my travels.

https://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Coffee-Single-Serve-Blend/dp/B01MQN9N79

$33.06 for Six - 12 count boxes ... so that's 72 cups for $33.06 = .459 cents per cup. Not bad compared to Starbucks at $3 a cup.

Anyway, I've used them on occasion and they're not bad tasting. But, personally, I'd never buy one.
On the Keurig, have you ever tried the reloadable inserts?
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-K-Select-K-Classic-K-Compact-Brewslang/dp/B00PACUZPS

I dont like how wasteful these systems seem but the convenience is undeniable.
My coworkers love the Nesspresso capsule machine; they literally wear one out every 1.5 years or so.

As another random story about coffee: one of my good friends is norwegian and his brother came to visit a few years ago. Over dinner, I found out that the brother was a former professional barrista who had competed internationally (which to be honest sounds impressive but if you are from Norway, probably doesn't mean he had to travel that far). The two nuggets I learned from this discussion were:
1) Like baking competitions, there are two types of latte art competitions. One focuses PURELY on the artwork the barrista can craft with his foam. It doesn't matter if the coffee tastes good. Its kind of like those crazy cake competitors where the result is spectacular but you know it probably tastes like crisco and chocolate. The other requires you balance the visual aspects with the actual taste - which in large part means you can't take forever in drawing (?)
2) Milk, the "ink" of the art, varies from locale to locale and the artists get used to what they work with daily. Therefore, for competitions, people will fly with the milk they "train with" to the actual competitions.

Hilarious.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
At home on the weekends, I drink whatever the wife buys. Always switching brands, so we never seem to get the strength dialed-in. It's either strong or very strong. Two cups.

At work we have a pretty nice machine that includes espressos, etc. If I'm feeling pretty good, it's my own green tea in a strainer.

If not, my go to is a triple-double, a double coffee and triple espresso. 1 1/2 packs of Stevia, and a mountain of powdered Coffee Mate. I like the way the powdered stuff thickens up the coffee.

I didn't start drinking coffee till my 30's, couldn't stand the taste. Then my company at the time got a Keurig with some of the choices having chocolate flavor in it. That got me started. If it wasn't for those chocolate coffees, I might not drink coffee today. I don't put chocolate in it now, but I sometimes have a chunk of chocolate while drinking coffee.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
You know, I really miss percolator coffee.

I used to run a pot first thing in the morning, and my hair was standing up by the time I left. :)

I liked the way it bounced off the bottom of the cup like fine honey...

Headed to Amazon, lol...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Out of curiosity, at what age did your kids start drinking coffee? Has their dentist said anything about this (perhaps b/c of staining)? I didn't start drinking coffee until well into college probably b/c my parents were always hesitant to give it to me. :)
It's a cultural thing :). Where my family comes from, kids start drinking coffee in their toddler years (18mo - 4yrs old). I started drinking coffee around the age of 5, but it wasn't anything regular until I reached my early teens.

With my kids, I started giving my daughter coffee also around the age of 5. It wasn't, and hasn't been (yet, lol), anything regular. Just on weekends like I said. My son has been drinking coffee (also weekends thusfar) on weekends.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know, I really miss percolator coffee.

I used to run a pot first thing in the morning, and my hair was standing up by the time I left. :)

I liked the way it bounced off the bottom of the cup like fine honey...

Headed to Amazon, lol...
Have you ever tried a moka pot? My italian coworker swears by this method. The gist is that instead of recirculating the water through the ground beans, pressure and not gravity pushes the water through the coffee grounds ONCE so that you don't potentially over extract stuff from the coffee.

Perculator

Moka Pot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot
https://www.amazon.com/Express-Espresso-Latte-Cafetiere-Coffee/dp/B07F8ZGYJC/

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
The earliest coffee maker I can remember was Mom & Dad's perculator, they were THE way to make coffee in the 70's. I don't remember automatic drip makers becoming common or popular until the 80's. I've never seen a Moka pot before but I bet it does make a good pot of coffee. Personally, I'm a big fan of the French Press.

Speaking of ways to make coffee, I recently ran across this video on how to make Cowboy coffee.

https://youtu.be/7UAoT21eqXI

I also ran across this article this morning that is most appropriate to this thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/why-you-should-always-check-your-hotel-coffee-maker-before-using-it.html

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Amount & Frequency: Half a pot every morning, essentially two 20oz cups. One with breakfast, one on drive to work.

Preferred Preparation Style: Mr Coffee

Additives: Non Dairy creamer.

Preferred Beans: I like a locally available brand, Camerons. They have some good flavored coffees, I roll between french vanilla, toasted southern pecan, donut shop, and a few of their darker roasts.

I hear what you're saying about Nawlins coffee, I do miss that about my time at LSU. I'd go to Nawlins often and enjoy sitting out in the early morning sipping a cup of super strong coffee while watching the police help the drunks that got their cars inside the french quarter out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts